Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and a few friends are looking into going to Ketchikan for a few days of fishing this summer and was wondering if any Gamefishers have any inputs / experiences from their that they would like to share. quality of fishing, best times to go or lodges they would recommend. We are looking at some of the Lodges and are leaning towards a self guided package in July or August. We want to catch fish, but it doesn't have to be Kings....Silvers, 'Butts, Lings are all good with us. So any inputs are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
JR

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
UM, I worked for Salmon Falls resort back in the early 90's which is about 18 miles out of town, they offered both fully guided and self guided trips and other then the last couple weeks of the season when the silvers were thick and close to the resort, the main thing I remember about the self-guided guests were how big there eyes got when we unloaded our fish and they saw the carnage, meanwhile, the fishcutters were cleaning there 3 flounders, 2 rockfish, a bunch of turbot they thought were halibut and the occassional salmon. Most upgraded to fully guided after the 1st day.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I stayed at the Sportman Cove Lodge off the Prince of Whales Island and it was pricey, but top notch! Tup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
That ferry ride from Ketchikan to Thorne Bay is something else. Be sure to bring a half case of your favorite adult beverage and a cribbage board.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!! looks like I need to check out the Sportsman's Cove Lodge. Any recommendations on the best time frame to go? Right now it looks like it could be any time between July 11th and August 22nd.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would look into Sea Otter Sound Lodge. Tim and Murtie are great people and you can choose from self-guided trips where they give you everything you need but you choose where and what to fish, or a guided trip with the lodge guide. It's a smaller lodge with a great family feel on Haceta Island. They book fast so give them a holler soon!

and hey, i might even be working there this summer Tup:

http://www.seaottersoundlodge.com

Toll Free Number
877-569-7042 (leave a message)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
cmessling07 said:
I would look into Sea Otter Sound Lodge.
Those self-guided guys make great entertainment, they all seem to have to get on channel 72 and announce to everyone every fish they catch. :lol: conf: :lol: Gets even better when the fog rolls in wink: :lol: :roll:

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I flew to Ketchikan with a fishing buddy and then hopped a small plane from Ketchikan to Klawock, a small town on Prince of Wales Island. We were with another friend who had fished commercially in AK and knew the area. We motored from Klawock to the ocean, (about 15-20 miles west) most of the time, and caught many nice kings, plus many halibut. We fished inside, closer to Klawock one day and caught many salmon there also We saw bears, deer, tons of eagles, watched a gray whale fill up on a huge herring ball. We stayed at a campground in Klawock, which is a very small town on a reservation. There was a place in town that would flash freeze and vacuum pack your fish, was a little spendy but did a great job. Fishing for salmon and halibut was as good as any Ive ever experienced, including elsewhere in Alaska. This was a few years ago, and I cant remember the name of the campground or the month we went(I think June or July) but it was a blast. I agree with the comments about hiring a guide, or fishing with someone who knows the area, as its huge and you could spend a lot of time finding fish.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
AkKings said:
cmessling07 said:
I would look into Sea Otter Sound Lodge.
Those self-guided guys make great entertainment, they all seem to have to get on channel 72 and announce to everyone every fish they catch. :lol: conf: :lol: Gets even better when the fog rolls in wink: :lol: :roll:
lol well some like to be on their own, especially for 1200 less for the week pp. plus they have a guide if you want to go with also

anyways, just throwing an idea out there since he asked Tup:

·
Banned
132 Posts
http://www.pacific-northwest-sportfishi ... ports.html

I would heck out Rob Endsley who has a Charter service near there(see link above). I know he gets booked early and so do most of the good ones, so I would get to work on it soon. I have never fished up there with him but I have around hear and that guy knows what he is doing.

I just set up a trip to the Situk river in Yakutat again this Spring and can't wait to get there myself. 20 Steelies a day is awesome.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We rent a house for a week and take the whole family. We caught enough fish to keep our arms sore on our own. I guess if you want someone to take you fishing, you can go to a lodge or on a charter, but there are plenty of opportunities to find fish on your own. We rent aboat at Knudsens Cove marina. If you go online and rent a skiff today (16 foot Lund, 25 horse Honda) it is $62.50 a day. You can fish as soon as you get 100 yards form the dock, and we caught limits every day (6 silvers, 6 pinks, 6 chum, did not keep but 2 each, cnr the rest). We did not fish kings there, but there were plenty there.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
coach said:
We rent a house for a week and take the whole family. We caught enough fish to keep our arms sore on our own. I guess if you want someone to take you fishing, you can go to a lodge or on a charter, but there are plenty of opportunities to find fish on your own. We rent aboat at Knudsens Cove marina. If you go online and rent a skiff today (16 foot Lund, 25 horse Honda) it is $62.50 a day. You can fish as soon as you get 100 yards form the dock, and we caught limits every day (6 silvers, 6 pinks, 6 chum, did not keep but 2 each, cnr the rest). We did not fish kings there, but there were plenty there.
We are doing the same this August Tup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts