Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Josh Brown opens up
Monday 03-03-2008 4:23pm PT
KJR - Former Seattle Seahawks kicker Josh Brown joined Dave "Softy" Mahler on Monday for the first time since signing a five-year 14.2 million dollar deal with St. Louis that includes a four million dollar signing bonus.

The deals from both Seattle and St. Louis were fairly similar except for the signing bonus. The Seahawks wanted to spread the bonus over a couple of years where as the Rams paid Brown the bonus money all up front.

"I didn't like the back-loaded deal. I didn't want the pressure of the business man. I wanted to get everything up front and not spread it out over a few years. That's not how you do bonuses," said Brown.

During his conversation with Softy, Brown acknowledged that he didn't do his agent any favors by speaking to Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren behind his back.

According to Brown, he told Holmgren what he needed and Holmgren responded with, "I'll go to bat for you," said Holmgren.

"I respected him (Holmgren) before, now I really respect him because he went to bat for me," said Brown.

Brown reiterated several times during the interview that it wasn't about earning more. " This is not about money, it's about winning plain and simple. When a business man thinks he knows more about kicking then me, that's a problem," said Brown.

Softy quickly followed up that response by pointing out that St. Louis was just 3-13 last season and Seattle for the second consecutive year was in the second round of the playoffs.

Brown replied, "A lot of shifting is going on in Seattle next year. Coach (Scott) Linehan is building something. I've never seen St. Louis has a bad football town. They've just had a couple of rough years. I want to be apart of a place that wants me to be there."

During the interview Brown indicated he would be a Seahawk if they offered him the same amount of money that St. Louis did.

"St. Louis came to the plate with more then I ever imagined," said Brown.

Brown did say part of the reason he went to St. Louis was so he could be closer to his family - his father is 72. But he admitted it wasn't a huge factor.

When Softy flat-out asked Brown if being the highest paid player was important to him, Brown quickly responded, "Yes."

Brown further went on to say, "This is a business. I have a certain allotment of my life to set myself up. These guy's (St. Louis) came to the plate and I had to take advantage of it."

Brown finished the interview by saying, "It's gonna be weird because Seattle is my first love. My first place that I played."

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
He just wants to kick indoor while staying close to home. I don't really care since he's only a kicker and I don't put much stock in these guys. If you can kick it from 45 yards or less accurately then you're good to go. Isn't the Hawks building a TD scoring team anyway? Who needs FGs? The Hawks have Wahle now and can run up his backside to make 3rd and 1's.

Brown was a fine kicker. He brought excitement for me over the last 3 or 4 years with his clutch kicks. I just hope we can put teams away next season so we don't have to rely on a kicker for 25%+ of the games won.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I still hate to see him go...this is gonna bite the seahawk's in the ass :shock:

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
BIG GUY said:
I still hate to see him go...this is gonna bite the seahawk's in the ass :shock:
'fraid you're right Big Guy. Seahawks need all the help they can get so they can continue to squeek out wins in spite of themselves. A lot of Seahawk victories boiled down to plain old luck. Brown definitely helped tip the scales.

The one aspect that bugs me a little is him saying "It's not about the money". Of course not, just ask A-rod!

In a career with such a limited lifespan I don't blame guys who make what amount to business decisions, whether for money or other personal reasons. Isn't that what free agency is about, you're available to the highest bidder? Sometimes the bid includes elements other than money. It's actually really none of our business why he chose to move on, but I'm sorry he did.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was a Josh Brown fan too, but he showed another side of him in that interview.
I got the impression it wasn't so much "show me the money" as "show me some
respect". It could be argued that is the same thing, but whatever... Josh is a
high energy, ego intensive, guy. I think he felt Ruskell and probably some of the
team didn't value his contribution enough. The rams sweet talked him and said
they would love him. The grass is always greener.

The thing is... he is a kicker. A kicker will never get the same respect, as say, a
star QB. Josh thought he was different. I think he will find the same situation in
St. Louis, but hey... I now live for the day that Nate puts the stiff arm right into
his helmet and knocks him on his butt. :)

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
who can blame him for leaving?? he got a better deal and for professional players its all about the money because it is a job making him SMART and not a loser. this is what happens when seattle doesnt wanna spend the money. hopefully they lose a game or 2 on last second field goals and then i can listen to everyone who hates him now say "wish the hawks would have paid him what he wanted."

·
Registered
946 Posts
trharder said:
I now live for the day that Nate puts the stiff arm right into his helmet and knocks him on his butt. :)
I think that It will be the other way around Tup: you seen what he did to devin hester..and a few other's on kick off's.The guy will tackle anybody. Tup:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
BIG GUY said:
exactly right.............remember that picher the m's couldnt pay either????

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
What I loved about the guy was that he would tackle anybody, he wasn't afraid to lay a smack down on the returner. He was a key component to the offense and it is never good to loose key components.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I too am disappointed. As a team that played for the FG alot of time, I really hope this doesnt come back to haunt us. I was at the game when he nailed Hester. It was awesome, I went nuts. He added enthusiasm and was one of the clutch offensive players of the team. Its always a two sided deal with these things it seems like. Its not as crucial as say losing Hutchison in this type of deal, but I wouldnt call Brown a loser as im sure he had reasons that the Hawks office doesnt want to talk about. Either way...... GO HAWKS!!

·
Banned
353 Posts
GillRaker said:
After reading that...........LOSER is right.
Why? What would you do in his situation? The only "loser" in this is the team. We will all regret the Seahawks front office not paying that little extra to him in the not so distant future!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will assume you did read the article,Dojo.

At one point he says "It's all about the winning". (St. Louis Rams... 3 and 13.)
Does he mean "it's all about *me* winning the game with a field goal?"
Or is it about the money? (Which really was about the same.) Make up your
mind Josh. "The business man"? I think that has to be Ruskell. I think Ruskell
P.O.d Brown.

I liked Josh too, but now he is the enemy. Screw him. True, he is not a loser.
I used that word to get action on this tread. Still, screw him. GO HAWKS! :)

·
Banned
353 Posts
Dude, We are only talking about 25% here. Does anyone understand that? 25 FRICKEN PERCENT! Thats what stopped this deal dead for the Hawks. The 400,000 extra that he wanted and the hawks did not want to give was 25% of the deal. Do you blame him for shopping and taking the BBD? ( bigger better deal ) I dont and you should not either.

·
Registered
346 Posts
He signed because they gave him 4 million signing bounus all at once. The Seahawks wanted to give it over 4 years, but with a running game they won't need to make 50 yard field goals...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts