Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
You guys watch too much TV. wink:

Here is something for those of us who are effectively still literate:

On July 29 1967, John narrowly survived the first of many near-death experiences during his lifetime while preparing to take off on a bombing mission over North Vietnam from his ship, the USS Forrestal. A missile accidentally fired from a nearby plane struck the fuel tanks on John's plane and created a deadly inferno aboard the ship. John barely escaped the fiery disaster that killed 134 men, injured hundreds more and destroyed 20 planes.

Instead of taking the option to return home after the Forrestal disaster, Senator McCain volunteered for more combat duty - a fateful decision that stopped the clock on his life and separated him from his family, and country, for five and a half years.

During his 23rd bombing mission on October 26, 1967, a missile struck John's plane and forced him to eject, knocking him unconscious and breaking both his arms and his leg. John was then taken as a prisoner of war into the now infamous "Hanoi Hilton," where he was denied necessary medical treatment and often beaten by the North Vietnamese.

John spent much of his time as a prisoner of war in solitary confinement, aided by his faith and the friendships of his fellow POWs. When he was finally released and able to return home years later, John continued his service by regaining his naval flight status.

Senator McCain's last Navy duty assignment was to serve as the naval liaison to the United States Senate. John retired from the Navy in 1981. His naval honors include the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit, Purple Heart, and the Distinguished Flying Cross.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Is he a leader or has the influence of his own entrapment become his coattails

I’d say it’s the latter and not the former

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
The last time I looked Annapolis graduates were considered Officers, Gentlemen and leaders of men. Some better than others, some in the right place at the right time.
Although I can find much to grumble about with John Mc Cain I cannot fault his behaviour on the Hanoi Hilton tour. To survive is an accomplishment in it's own right.
Anyone here ever read King Rat?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheDude said:
Is he a leader or has the influence of his own entrapment become his coattails

I’d say it’s the latter and not the former
Only if learning from life is an "entrapment" and overcoming adversity is somehow an impedement.....then yeah wink:

G

·
I could have sworn there were other prisoners that were also released 35 years ago. Not to mention those that died while in the Hanoi Hilton and that went home in a coffin possibly flying on the same airplane as McCain.

Some of you folks seemed to have forgotten about those heros.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
-ifICU1st, How many of those men are running for president of the United States?
We can never repay them for their service and suffering, however, speak for youself when you say forgotten.

G

·
Skorzeny said:
-ifICU1st, How many of those men are running for president of the United States?
We can never repay them for their service and suffering, however, speak for youself when you say forgotten.
Ohhhhh.....I see. So you HAVE to be running for President to be acknowledged as a hero.

And when reading the thread, I was about the only one who DID remember the other HEROS. I sure didn't read anything from it coming from you.

All I'm asking from you Skorzweeny is to to give an acknowledgment to the others. I'm not trying to make this into a pissing match. :evil:

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Really? You seem to have all the traits of a pissant and I cannot compete with that. Are you really so dense as to think that the folks out here don't realize there were many in the H Hilton? If the accolades for being the FIRST to say so are your goal. Be my guest. Although I refuse to go any further with the juvenile name games. If you can't spell, that's your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts