Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the lead and time, I'm look ing for the mold.

Does anybody have a jig mold that I can use for seabass, ling, etc? Or at least a good place to buy an inexpensive 3-4 ounce jig mold.

Dr. E

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
the cheapest you will find is about 20 bucks on ebay.

you can try making your own out of plaster. I've done it before with acceptable results. The plaster mold will get you a few dozen runs before it starts breaking apart and becomes unusable

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is my homemade mold. It's aluminum. It makes 2,3,4,5,6,8, and 10oz jigs with 7/0 and 10/0 mustad hooks available at sportco. It's the cheapest if you have access to a drill press and 1' and 3/4" drills. Let me know if anybody wants more details to make your own. DR E are you local? I'm in Renton. I could probably loan it out for a few weeks, but I haven't made my own jigs for this year. PM me if this will work for you. I could make some for $25 each if anybody wants. Any combination of sizes.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
that is a pretty sweet jig mold... i may need to get myself one of those... nothin like paying an arm and a leg for a jig head out at big salmon ...can get pretty spendy even at sportco.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually looking for jigs like point wilson darts. I see Do-it molds has a "shad" mold for $45. Does that work well for our salt water bottom fish?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Dr. E said:
Actually looking for jigs like point wilson darts. I see Do-it molds has a "shad" mold for $45. Does that work well for our salt water bottom fish?
I made about 30 darts using a plaster mold, from my post above.

If you want that shad mold, there is a fellow on Ebay that sells them for about 36 bucks plus shipping for smaller molds. See item #320216505250, which is larger size.

This other outfit makes some custom and other molds that look like darts. Not sure on the price though. http://www.shawncollinscustoms.com/

Hint: the bottomfish won't care whether it looks like a Point Wilson dart or a fish from a "shad mold". Heck, people catch bottom fish on pieces of hollow pipe filled with lead.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
kidkodger said:
This is my homemade mold. It's aluminum. It makes 2,3,4,5,6,8, and 10oz jigs with 7/0 and 10/0 mustad hooks available at sportco. It's the cheapest if you have access to a drill press and 1' and 3/4" drills. Let me know if anybody wants more details to make your own. DR E are you local? I'm in Renton. I could probably loan it out for a few weeks, but I haven't made my own jigs for this year. PM me if this will work for you. I could make some for $25 each if anybody wants. Any combination of sizes.
Nice homemade molds Kid!! Tup:

Say, have you tried making one of these molds for pencil lead sinkers? Basically, use 1/4 inch drill bits, instead of the bigger ones you used for the mold in the pic. I'm not very good with drills and don't have a drill press. But I do have some aluminum slabs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts