Game Fishing Forum banner

ITS OFFICIAL! M's SIGN BEDARD!

4K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  kingcracker 
#1 ·
barring a bad physical of course. I saw it on KOMO saying the deal has been worked out and will be made public tomorrow. The only names known are Adam Jones and Bedard but George Sherril has been coveted by the Orioles so he may be in there with another prospect or 2. FINALLY!

#2 ·
oops forgot to send some proof. Adam Jones is the one who first confirmed it. He said Bavasi called him and told him to head to Baltimore. From the way Adam Jones talks he sounds like a class act and thankful kid. Hopefully he doesnt turn out to be too good!

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/ar ... p&c_id=sea

#6 ·
The Mariners apparently would send Jones, left-handed reliever George Sherrill and Minor League pitcher Chris Tillman, along with one more Minor League player, to the rebuilding Orioles for Bedard.

Excellent trade Tup: Its going to be a fun season.

I have a question though, who in the heck is going to be in the outfield?

#10 ·
Nixon would be a nice fit. He is young too. Lofton wouldnt be bad either. That old man is still faster than everyone on our team minus Ichiro. Good Fielder and still a decent hitter. DO IT BAVASI

#11 ·
I think it will be a good deal for the M's. I know dmack doesn't like the deal but ultimately time will tell. I will say this for Bevasi and the M's, they have been willing to spend money (6th highest payroll in MLB) and they have shown the willingness to pull the trigger on deals, some good and some not so good. Essentially, Bedard seals Bevasi's fate, one way or another.

Luis Gonzales was very briefly interviewed Sat at the ASU/WSU game in the stands and he indicated that Florida had shown the most interest in him.

#12 ·
WHOA! Remember, Orioles owner Peter Angelos killed a proposed seven-for-two trade that would have sent both Erik Bedard and Brian Roberts to Chicago.
Adan Jones could prove his value right here if he doesn't close his pie hole. Peter Angelos is a very proud man and will not be shown up in the press by a second rate outfielder. YES SECOND RATE!!! This is the first time ALL of the principles have been quiet,ALMOST ALL, and it shows that the deal is verry verrrrrry close. I can't wait to see is gone, Sherrill, Jones, Morrow, Rhodes, Maybe even a Jose Lopez????????????

The completed deal will give the Mairners the second best starting rotation in the Majors, Bedard, Hernandez, Washburn,Silva and Bautista. I read my Bubble Gum cards. The Angels of "Whereever" havent had to worry so far as they owned the AL West, that will change..... As far as Right field, well lets just say spring training will be interesting. Six Utility players and an open position will create EXCITEMENT!!!

Could this be a defining moment for Bavasi? NO, This is desperation and still can't sell a used first baseman giving a $7 Million Dollar Rebate.
BUT MAN DO WE HAVE THE DH COVERED!!!!!!

#17 ·
Although I would like to have a pitcher of Bedards caliber on the team, I still wonder if we are giving up too much. I think both this organization and thier manager Bavasi are really feeling the heat to get this done mainly because of past failures in regards to lame/non made trades, and lame or especially non made aquisitions. It seems that it's usually in this type of almost desperate situation really that you are apt to get fleeced IMO.

The latest report has us sending Jones, Sherrill, our third overall rated farm prospect who was our second overall pick in 06'(a nice high pick early in round two), and even another player to be named/still decided prospect. Yes we would be recieving someone who should be a very good pitcher for us - but we are giving up a potential superstar if not a very good young and cheap centerfielder, and a very very good LEFT handed bullpen pitcher who also is'nt too expensive, our top pitching prospect from the farm, and even another player to boot. Really young and cheap very good to superstar caliber centerfielders = a very hard find(they have allready talked about him being the cornerstone of the franchise - the one they build their team around). An in his prime younger very good proven left handed bullpen pitcher who isn't making all that much = another hard find. A former high second round pick who is regarded as the top pitching prospect in his organization = just what was written - a good chance to become a good starting pitcher, but a prospect none the less - still not someone to be thrown away. Another player we don't know to be named/decided - what if we give up another higher end prospect here? That's alot of give in my book - he may very well be worth it in principle, I just don't like the idea of why we seem to be driven to give up so much for this guy. Definately taking hits both in the future and today too just so we don't sink back farther into desolation again next year(the M's pr nightmare is overdue with us fans) - we would be down in right field and the bullpen without a doubt right off the bat. I just don't see getting this one pitcher as taking us all the way, especially when you are mortaging futures and even losing 2 important guys who would have been on the opening day roster - going for it with a team that could really probably use a few years to make more of a youth movement and live out and be done with some bloated contratcs. Just smells like a team at a crossroads that is going to do the wrong thing at the wrong time to satve off fan apathy and continue to be mediochre enough to draw the fan$ into the park - O wait, is'nt that just the M's and thier business philoshiphy?

#18 ·
thepoth said:
Although I would like to have a pitcher of Bedards caliber on the team, I still wonder if we are giving up too much. I think both this organization and thier manager Bavasi are really feeling the heat to get this done mainly because of past failures in regards to lame/non made trades, and lame or especially non made aquisitions. It seems that it's usually in this type of almost desperate situation really that you are apt to get fleeced IMO.

The latest report has us sending Jones, Sherrill, our third overall rated farm prospect who was our second overall pick in 06'(a nice high pick early in round two), and even another player to be named/still decided prospect. Yes we would be recieving someone who should be a very good pitcher for us - but we are giving up a potential superstar if not a very good young and cheap centerfielder, and a very very good LEFT handed bullpen pitcher who also is'nt too expensive, our top pitching prospect from the farm, and even another player to boot. Really young and cheap very good to superstar caliber centerfielders = a very hard find(they have allready talked about him being the cornerstone of the franchise - the one they build their team around). An in his prime younger very good proven left handed bullpen pitcher who isn't making all that much = another hard find. A former high second round pick who is regarded as the top pitching prospect in his organization = just what was written - a good chance to become a good starting pitcher, but a prospect none the less - still not someone to be thrown away. Another player we don't know to be named/decided - what if we give up another higher end prospect here? That's alot of give in my book - he may very well be worth it in principle, I just don't like the idea of why we seem to be driven to give up so much for this guy. Definately taking hits both in the future and today too just so we don't sink back farther into desolation again next year(the M's pr nightmare is overdue with us fans) - we would be down in right field and the bullpen without a doubt right off the bat. I just don't see getting this one pitcher as taking us all the way, especially when you are mortaging futures and even losing 2 important guys who would have been on the opening day roster - going for it with a team that could really probably use a few years to make more of a youth movement and live out and be done with some bloated contratcs. Just smells like a team at a crossroads that is going to do the wrong thing at the wrong time to stave off fan apathy and continue to be mediochre enough to draw the fan$ into the park - O wait, is'nt that just the M's and thier business philoshiphy?

#19 ·
Losing Adam Jones is not a HUGE loss to Seattle. Reason being....

Erik Bedard needs to be on a team thats close to division titles and when you add a pitcher of his caliber to a rotation thats decent (using that word lightly) significantly improves the chance of taking the division. Thats where Bedard needs to be, not on a team that has 10 straight losing seasons. He deserves much more.

The Orioles are in a "re-building" phase sending someone like Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, and George Sherril is a huge help. When they got rid of Miguel Tejada the received something like 4 or 5 players. Getting rid of Bedard, they'll be getting the same amount of players, that greatly helps a team thats re-building and re-builds quickly.

So in reality this trade helps both teams greatly. It'll get Seattle deep into the playoffs, if not the World Series (depending on Richie) at least one the next two years. It will also help Baltimore re-build a team that definatly needs re-building and it will do it quickly.

GO M'S!

#22 ·
He never said he won't do it. He said its not a done deal yet. But as all of us know, all players have to pass physicals before the Owners sign off on anything. It will probably be another few days before a desicion is made. Bedard will be a Mariner, the Orioles are just gonna try to squeeze out as much as he can from Seattle.

#23 ·
DBA, you got it right again, this is the Bavasi last stand. Signing a free agent that doesn't work out quite so well like Carl Everett, Matt Lawton, Scott Spezio, Jeff Weaver and Richie Sexson he could survive..Trade your starting right fielder, one of the best left handed relievers in the game, two or more other highly rated minor leagers for a 2 year rental has to work for him.. If not, next year at this time we will be talking about a new GM and manager!!!

#25 ·
I think officially that would be tampering. I know they do sign and trade deals in the NBA, like the O's giving him an extension then trading him...He's 29 now with some missed starts the last 2 years, I don't think I would be in too much of a hurry to sign him for years 32-36 anyway..So I definately don't like the rental plan. If they M's make the playoffs after pulling this off, I'll be happy. If not , then in my mind it wasn't worth it..If the M's suck, Bavasi and McClaren get fired, and Adam Jones turns into a great player and haunts the M's for years to come, I'll be ok with that too!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.