Island Ling | Gamefishin.com
  1. Clockwork

Clockwork Well-Known Member

woke up at 4am to head up to the islands for Lings yesterday. took my buddy from out of town and my dad. fished like we were possessed and didnt get home till midnight. the goodnews is that the new boat got bloody on the maiden voyage so i was able to get that bit of superstition out of the way. we were into fish right away and i got this (im gonna say 30" because its the internet and you cant tell) ling early in the day on a homemade jig. i messed up my buddys 1 chance at a keeper ling when he brought up a Ling as a +1 to his rockfish. that thing was legit and was pushing the max on the slot limit. it was high current and choppy and i misjudged the distance and touched the ling with the net so he belched up the hapless rockfish and instead of going down he took off across the top of the water and out of the net, the best he was able to do after that was a 25.5" of course. we caught an assortment of lings between 20 and 25" and, in reference to an earlier thread, noted a distinct lack of greenling and more notably a major decrease in their overall size. we did end up with 10 acceptable greenling between the 3 of us as well.

NOAA miscalled the wind again and there was a strong easterly wind all day opposed to the predicted SW wind. but it was a beautiful day, even sunny and i didnt even need my rainsuit but i wore it anyways because it looks cool.

Attached Files:

2. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

water looks awesome....nice work

3. fishn2gthr4ever

fishn2gthr4ever Moderator Staff Member

Cool story! It looks like you could sight fish in that clear water...

4. Salmonslair

Salmonslair Member

What side of which island? I'm headed up there Wednesday...Thanx...

5. mitch184

mitch184 Active Member

Nice work up there! Tup: We fished up there as well saturday. There are definitely no shortage of undersize lings up there showing it has definitely been picked thru. Last week we had boat limit in under an hour with only 3 undersize. Saturday we were batting like 6 to 1 on undersize to keepers to get our limits. And like has been said greenlings aren't quite as plentiful as years past. It sure was a little snotty saturday morning though.

6. RiverFishin

RiverFishin Active Member

Nice Ling, hope to get up there a couple times this year.

7. Clockwork

Clockwork Well-Known Member

the water was near perfect until about 10am when we got enough wind to require the use of the kicker to control the drift.

8. DraXxuS

DraXxuS New Member

Yah greenling have been a little hard to come by this year...I hit matia on saturday and bellingham bay on the way out was a little on the bumpy side