Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sister and brother in law want me to take them fishing in july to prince rupert sound! he says it is only 600 miles, i came up with 1004 miles! their thinking my truck, camper and boat, with 4 adults splitting the costs. im thinking thats like 4 trips to neah bay (cost wise), with 2 days more of fishing instead of driving. am i even close on my distances? do you guys have any suggestions for a better trip thats closer?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Don't know where your driving from but I've made the trip 5 times, it was approx. 950 miles if I remember correctly from Federal Way. Sorry, never fished there, just passing through on my way to Ketchikan, I would imagine it can be pretty good at times since your basically at the mouth of the world famous, Skeena river.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I towed a 23' boat up there back in 1990 and fished the Queen Charlottes. It's a long damn drive is all I can tell you. It's absolutely one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on in my life though. You basically follow the Fraser for a long ways and then other river systems. We seen moose, bears and wolves on the drive. We drove straight through and it took us about 20 hours with the only stops being food and gas. That was from Everett to Prince Rupert.

I'm really glad I did it once but I don't think I would ever do it again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm far from an expert on these waters, but I'd be tempted to go half that far and fish near the northern tip of Vancouver Island, heard good things about that area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the reason to fish Prince Rupert would be the fact that if you go at the right time of year you have a chance at a whopper. Every year there are many 50lb+ fish caught and usually a few in the high 60's or low 70's. It's a long way to go but if you want to try for a whopper, it's a pretty good choice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Me and a buddy drove last year all the way to prince George the first day and then to prince rupert the second day caught the ferry 7 hrs ride over to Queen Charlottes and then the ferry to sand spit, stay with a friend in a bed and breakfast he owns about 1 mile from the sand spit airport we then take his boat 2 hrs west though skidegate passage to the west side as they call it to fish the wall. All I can say is it was a competion to see who could get there gear in the water the fastest or you had to wait and drink beer while your buddy reeled his ass off,, Now not all boats were having the success that we had but our skipper has know all the locals for about 40 years so he kind of has an idea of what where and when to fish this is the true definition of 10% of the guys catch 90% of the fish, three days of this and my arms were killing me. My first fish on the boat was about 25lbs and the skipper said throw it back you do not want to keep that little thing.
Also the year before we pulled 23 ft dory all the way up Vancouver island after paying 200$ for the ferry to coal harbor an old world war -2 sea plain base a few miles from port hardy. The black bears were like stray cats. launched the boat went 3 hrs west out to winter harbor stayed in a little cabing for 5 days and let me tell you we had no idea where to fish, we figured in the water would be a good place to start, the owner said go around the light house and fish the main water put on a cop car spoon troll over the reef and hold on and yes we caught salmon halibut and everythng else that swims for days all I can say is the weather can change on a heart beat and you better have a GPS when the fog rolls in hear or you are buy your self for ever. We were actually in 20-30 ft swells at times and I don get sick but everythng i ownned tried to come up this trip. You better have a wallett full of money and understand the laws for bringing back your fish marked bagged and proportioned right or it get even more expensive real quick. Next trip we are flying to Sandspit walking to the house and taking the boat 2 hrs and will fly home. Both trips were fishing the west side that means in the ocean. This is a very very long trip and nothing is cheap now that our money is worth less on the exchange GOOD LUCK DO YOUR HOME WORK BEFORE YOU GO,, Pm me if you want any more info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts