Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend i am going to do a 3-4 mile hike-in, overnighter, hike-out steelhead float trip with a friend. Packing in the raft and gear will be similar to my many trips into remote alpine lakes. This time its a very hvy load for only a few miles.

I have seen posts from guys that won't fish til multiple reports say its red hot or there needs to be so many fish back to the rack, and they will only make minimal effort.

What extra effort do you take to get into fishy water?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yes it's worth it. Big time! Do it if you are physically able to because as you age you will loose options because of physical limitations. Being there is 90%, the actual catch is insignificant. One day you'll look back at your life and challenging yourself for a trip packing in to fish/hunt/camp will NOT be on your regret list.

I have walked miles in the dark, snow, rain, wild animal infested, muddy, steep, bug infested, devil's club, blackberries, under fallen trees, over fallen trees, scaled rock walls, crawled on my hands and knees, and swam in ice water, saltwater, stink water in remote areas on no sleep, with blisters on my feet, a sore back, cut finger, sun burnt, bug bitten, alone, and with friends that couldn't stop talking day or night, hungry and cold, been attacked by a rabid llama, and scared to death by a raging bull the size of a Mac truck. Hands down, the best of times!

·
Registered
747 Posts
If it's guaranteed that I won't run into more than a couple people and the fish are fresh I'll hike dozens of miles. Haven't done it in years but if you can, seize the opportunity!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Myself, Winterun and crew will hike & hike in the OP rain sleet and snow if we have too...(some of you guys have prob ran into us in the middle of nowhere) just for a CHANCE to hook into something. I will speak for myself-I am no spring chicken either....the 4am departure times are getting more painful tho. LOL

But we rarely run into more than half dozen people anymore at best.

But for winter steelhead thats part of the experience, and makes the prize that much more rewarding.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At 45, I am feeling the pains of long hikes into far off distant places packing a raft, camping and fishing gear. In my 20's i would hike for miles and miles. Now i stick to less than a 10 mile hike, one way.

It is very rewarding to make the journeys.
Growing old isnt easy in the body. I do make a pretty good effort to stay in athletic shape.

If i have any success this weekend, i will share a well cropped pic or two. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
My buddy and me have been talking about doing what you mentioned just minus the camping. So instead we were just going to start walking into the forest somewhere super early and dark and where ever we got to at daylight would be the float.
Please share a good story when you get back, sounds like a fun trip!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Peyton you can chase the reports and do OK or you can make the reports and do great.If I waited till reports say its hot then I know I wouldn't fish half as much or catch half as many fish.Rule number one of fishing =you can't catch fish sitting at home on the couch surfing the web.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Preserving native species is crucial to the ecosystem and it is our responsibility to manage our environment. No entities know more about this fragile natural balance than our Beloved Stewards Of The Environment.
If my Beloved Stewards Of The Environment say it is OK to harvest native fish in this river, then it is All OK with me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peyton, do you take Vitamin D? My chiro suggested it that to me along with a high quality fish oil supplement, although you sound like you get lots of fish so maybe just the vitamin D. Anyways, combining the two, he says is like WD-40 for your cartilage in your joints. I didn't believe him but tried it and felt an improvement. I'm not taking it daily now but still take them 4-5 times a week. Ask your doc first of course.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take vitamins and drink whole milk like no other. I play pickle ball during the week, it kicks my ass, lungs, legs and arm.
I am not fighting the aging process, i am working with it.
Use it or lose it!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My buddy and me have been talking about doing what you mentioned just minus the camping. So instead we were just going to start walking into the forest somewhere super early and dark and where ever we got to at daylight would be the float.
Please share a good story when you get back, sounds like a fun trip!
About to load up the packs and hit the road. I will share my story- good, bad or skunky.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts