Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Employer is MANDATING/Requiring that I take the offred healthcare plan, BUT I have to pay for it out of pocket!!!!! As of now, the independant plan I pay for is about half the cost and has much better coverage. Can they really requre this? Anyone have similar experience? I am planning on contacting the insurance commision as well as the plan provider thy are offering. I think as of right now, I'd change jobs rather than
spend and extra $500 a month out of my pocket.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm pretty sure that that's not legal, especially if you have your own plan. You need to talk to your HR director.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I know that Aetna and Premera allow you to sign off if you have other coverage available. You may be required to provide proof of coverage and sign a waiver declining their coverage offer. This is required by the group carrier. Hopefully it was a misunderstanding between you and your employer.
Marti

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've been in the navy for over 10 years so I'm not sure if things have changed. Before I joined the navy I always had my own Ins. I worked for Ford Motor Co. and I chose to stay with my ins. reather than chosing theirs. Hope you work it out...Good luck.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
In this state an employer CAN NOT mandate required insurance as a condition of employment. In fact, WA is one of only a handful of states that require independent insurance made available as choice. Blue Shield is the TOP independent insurance carrier and offers very good rates.

I too had an employer that tried this 3 years ago. The reason is to get a special rate from an insurance company. Contact the state labor board of they push.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes to the above, including Blue Shield rates. The greater the # the low the Employer Group rates are. The only problem is that if you were to enroll into the the Employer Group Health later on, is that the enrollment (open house) period may be only at the end of the year for the following year, making the timing of switching a concern.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts