Game Fishing Forum banner

Insurance bans charcoal/gas BBQ Need advice!!

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  bing 
#1 ·
I live in Issaquah and my condo complex's insurance decided to ban bbq's. I just bought a nice bbq for $450 last summer. I'm not sure if I should put the effort into fighting them on this. My other option is to sell my bbq and get a Traeger since wood burning grills are apparently fine. If I have to switch to the Traeger I have a couple of questions:

1. How is steak on a Traeger since it doesn't appear to get hot enough to sear?

2. Does it totally replace your gas/charcoal grill? or do you still have some food that needs the hotter grill?

3. Since I'm losing a bunch of money on this deal, where can I pick one up for a good deal if it ends up to this?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
1) It does get plenty hot enough for a steak. They are the best!!
2) You will never have to use gas or charcoal again to cook different food. Only if the power goes out.
I bought one almost 3 years ago and have never regretted it. I totally believe you will never regret buying one.

#3 ·
i disagree with wannafish

my traeger cant even come close to cooking a steak as good as my regular charcoal bbq

in fact,,,i will never again put a steak on my traeger

the traegers are good for slow cookin,,,but not the best for steaks where you need a lot of heat for a short period of time

I do agree with the 2nd part of wannfish's post about not regretting the traeger purchase,,,,,they really are awesome units,,,,money well spent

my 2 cents

#5 ·
My condo doesn't allow BBQ on the porch either. Here's what I do for steaks: Cast iron skillet. Heat up to hot hot hot. Put in steak, seasoned with your favorite seasonings. Brown on one side, flip over, then stick it into the oven at 375 until you reach the level of doneness you want. It should get evenly browned on both sides. I like to have mine almost burnt so there's a slight crunch. Pull out of oven, stick in some butter into the hot pan. Remove steak, while resting, scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to get all the burnt stuff dissolved into the butter. Use this butter and pan dripping mixture for sauce.

#6 ·
Several years ago my mom had the same problem in her condo so she bought an electric grill. It looked just like any other grill but it was electric. I only used it once but it did a surprisingly good job on steaks. I don't remember the brand nor do I know how much she paid for it. I gave it to her next door neighbor after mom passed away.

#8 ·
madcapmag said:
My condo doesn't allow BBQ on the porch either. Here's what I do for steaks: Cast iron skillet. Heat up to hot hot hot. Put in steak, seasoned with your favorite seasonings. Brown on one side, flip over, then stick it into the oven at 375 until you reach the level of doneness you want. It should get evenly browned on both sides. I like to have mine almost burnt so there's a slight crunch. Pull out of oven, stick in some butter into the hot pan. Remove steak, while resting, scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to get all the burnt stuff dissolved into the butter. Use this butter and pan dripping mixture for sauce.
Sounds like the 'chicago style'. I love the steak crisp and full of flavor on the outside, and nice an pink and full of juice on the inside. By hitting it on the almost red hot grill for about a minute per side, you seal in the natural juices.

I don't put it in the oven. I just turn down the heat and keep it on the grill for a few more minutes. Add a lid for a few minutes if the steak is really thick.

If you add a slight coating of cornstarch mixed with your preferred spices\flavorings - you will get an extra nice and crisp outer steak. The other cool thing is that the cornstarch will form with the drippings to create a very tasty and attrative sauce.

For best results, have something handy to deglaze with. I tend to use cooking wine or wine vinegar. Red for red meat, white for fish and port. As the pan is nearly red hot and the butter or olive oil is just starting to brown, toss on the steak. Add just a touch of the deglazing liquid after a minute or so. Flip the steak and repeat. When done, remove the steak and add just enough cold deglazing liquid to to the hot pan over medium heat. Stir and allow to boil and reduce down a bit. Pour over steak when you serve it. Tup:

I love to serve this with grilled\carmalized red onions. Do the onions first (before the steak) in butter and crushed fresh garlic with a little salt and pepper. This garlic and onion flavor left in the pan will transfer nicely to the steak and add tons of flavor to the sauce after deglazing.

#9 ·
Snoqualmiesteel said:
madcapmag said:
Sounds like the 'chicago style'.
I do love Chicago.... and so does my gut...

+1 for the red onions and gaahlic

#11 ·
I went from a charcoal grill to the traeger and never looked back! I have never liked propane grills. But really buying a house would let you keep the current grill.

#12 ·
I got a Smith & Wesson .38 Special (Made by Traeger, I think about like the "Little Tex" or whatever the small one is) at the NSIA Auction a couple of years ago...

I threw away my Propane BBQ - good riddance!

Doing steaks on the Traeger, I set it on "High" with the lid closed until the temp is around 500 degrees - then I open it up, put the steak on (When I say steak, I mean 1.5 - 2" thick) the grate - it sears quite nicely, since the grate is 500 degrees - close the lid, set it on medium, 4 minutes later, turn it over on a different spot on the grate - sears the other side nicely - close the lid, let it cook for another 4 minutes and viola! Perfect Medium Rare steak!

Now if I could only find "food quality" pellets by the truckload!

Dick

#13 ·
My new Lil Tex thermometer (digital) only goes to 450 and it doesn't quite get that high. 415 to 425 max. Steaks come out OK, but I can't get that sear that you are talking about. Everything else comes out better. Chicken, ribs, low and slow, fish. I haven't fired up the propane grill since I got mine for Christmas. Steaks are the only thing that doesn't cook quite as well, but they are still darn good on a Traeger.

#17 ·
Whats the secret to the George Foreman? I haven't been able to get mine hot enough, so its been relegated to making me grilled ham and cheese sammies.

#18 ·
bing said:
Dicknite must be mixing coal with his pellets :)

I can only get to 400-410 degrees as well,,,,maybe i could hit 500 on a hot summer day,,,,,but it hasnt happened yet
Well, to be honest, I don't have a sophisticated thermometer installed - I looked at how much they wanted for the Traeger thermometer and decided on putting a meat thermometer through the lid where the plug is for the Traeger thermometer... It could be off, and I suppose it it, but I simply use it as a reference - the hottest it gets reads 500*... Might be 410?

Does work well for steaks tho!

#19 ·
dicknite said:
bing said:

I can only get to 400-410 degrees as well,,,,maybe i could hit 500 on a hot summer day,,,,,but it hasnt happened yet
Well, to be honest, I don't have a sophisticated thermometer installed - I looked at how much they wanted for the Traeger thermometer and decided on putting a meat thermometer through the lid where the plug is for the Traeger thermometer... It could be off, and I suppose it it, but I simply use it as a reference - the hottest it gets reads 500*... Might be 410?

You NEED to get this (i have the 180degree model):

http://traegeroutlet.com/inc/sdetail/4048

It makes cooking on the Traeger real nice because you get the real temps inside and it keeps the temps constant. If your interested maybe you can see if the sponsor of this forum has them:

http://www.gamefishin.com/chrislunt/chrislunt.htm

You can also adjust how fast "Smoke" puts the pellets out. I have been playing around with mine and have it perfect for fish. It stays between 120-160. There is a potentiometer on the back you can adjust to achieve this.

#20 ·
epidemic said:
dicknite said:
bing said:

You NEED to get this (i have the 180degree model):

http://traegeroutlet.com/inc/sdetail/4048

It makes cooking on the Traeger real nice because you get the real temps inside and it keeps the temps constant. If your interested maybe you can see if the sponsor of this forum has them:

http://www.gamefishin.com/chrislunt/chrislunt.htm

You can also adjust how fast "Smoke" puts the pellets out. I have been playing around with mine and have it perfect for fish. It stays between 120-160. There is a potentiometer on the back you can adjust to achieve this.
i have this model

didnt know i could adjust it on the back? how?

I do cheat once and a while when i want to get a higher temp,,,,,i shut the unit off for a second or two and then yurn it back on,,,,this turns the hot rod on for a period of time (making the traeger think it is being started) and boosts the heat

#21 ·
If you take out the controller, look on the back. I'm too lazy to take mine back out at the moment to take a pic, I can do it later if you need me to. I believe it's on the top left if your looking at the board. It has numbers on it from 1-9. 9 is SLOW and 1 is fast. I moved it to about 5 and it kept a pretty good fish smoking temp.

#22 ·
epidemic said:
If you take out the controller, look on the back. I'm too lazy to take mine back out at the moment to take a pic, I can do it later if you need me to. I believe it's on the top left if your looking at the board. It has numbers on it from 1-9. 9 is SLOW and 1 is fast. I moved it to about 5 and it kept a pretty good fish smoking temp.
good info,,,thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.