Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the oil drain plug is on a Marine Power 4.3L Vortec inboard? I would like to change the oil myself if possible. Used to do it when I had an old Silverado so I thought I could probably do it on the boat. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
The best thing to do is to buy a pump and suck it out through the dipstick tube. The plug is on the bottom of the pan, just like in the truck, but it'll make a mess out of your bilge to drain it that way. The pumps are affordable, and do a good job of keeping the mess to a minimum. I have/use a 12v pump on my 4.3L Mercruiser in my Trophy. You can buy the pumps at any boating/marine store that sells the oil and filter you'll need.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have used the hand pump twice and it is a pain in the butt. I got an electric at the boat show on Sunday for $30.00 and am looking forward to my next oil change.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
The electric pump I have is noisy and kind-of slow, but it works way better than the manual pumps I've used in the past... You need to have the engine at operating temp before trying to pump though... warm-up that oil, so it more viscous.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Both of my sleds have a line already installed for draining the oil. It's towards the back of the engine, and is long enough to reach out through the drain plugs. No mess in the hull. Are you sure yours doesn't already have one??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. Is that drain tube to the left of the oil filter? There is a tube from the side of the engine near the oil filter, but it seems to be connected to the bottom of the bilge.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The line is actually connected at the drain plug. I cant imagine why all inboard boat manufacturers wouldn't already have these installed on their boats. conf:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Professor said:
Both of my sleds have a line already installed for draining the oil. It's towards the back of the engine, and is long enough to reach out through the drain plugs. No mess in the hull. Are you sure yours doesn't already have one??
I haven't changed my oil yet but i have the same thing installed on mine.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!If you have one of those drain hoses on your Motor make sure that they are installed with LOCTITE on the threads! When I was working in the boat shops we had more than one come in with a burned up motor because that drain bolt loosened up due to the hose moving around and boy was that an expensive lesson for some!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts