Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arghh!! I've got an impacted wisdom tooth. Dentist appointment tomorrow. Hopefully they pull it and its brother out. Had my upper two removed about 2 years ago, but the lower two weren't far out enought to do as well. Dentist told me to wait 6 months. But during that time, moved to Phoenix and all that and forgot. Now the one on my right side is acting up. Any tips on easing the discomfort? I'm already "disinfecting" via 100proof medication.... conf:

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
No alcohol and no soda. You'll dryout the wound. Eat soft foods like ice cream and such for about 5 days or so. Never gargle liquids. And keep the area clean with lighting shooting water around the area with an injector.

Had all 4 taken out in bootcamp. Not impacted though.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
When i had mine out I drank a little. I never had problems. I think they say to avoid useing a straw. but you might want to listen to the dentist.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I feel for ya I had one taken out a few years ago and it put me in tears for a couple days...... it was BRUTAL! The PAIN! OH!! The PAIN man was PAINFUL!!!!!!! :lol: Hope ya feel better. Best thing is to stay away from direct sunlight. :roll:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
I feel for ya I had one taken out a few years ago and it put me in tears for a couple days...... it was BRUTAL! The PAIN! OH!! The PAIN man was PAINFUL!!!!!!! :lol: Hope ya feel better. Best thing is to stay away from direct sunlight. :roll:
Real nice phil, that will him him worry less :D

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Remind me to tell ya the story of when I had mine cut and chiseled out with no novacaine down at Ft. Lewis. 2 staff sargeants holding me down on one side, orderly and corpman on the other side. Guess what, Novacaine has an expiration date, it loses its anesthetic properties after awhile. I think the batch they used on me was from Kaiser Wihelm's inventory.

You lead a charmed life, MCM. It'll be fine!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Not too bad. I had all for yanked a year ago. Your dentist can't do anything for you (assuming he/she isn't an oral surgeon.) They'll give you a referal. Sorry to say, but it may be a while before you get some relief. On the flip side, I was perscribed Oxycodon for pain. I hear that stuff works pretty good. However, I didn't fill the perscription and opted to take ibuprofin instead. I had the VA do mine, one bonus on coming off active duty in the National Guard and it didn't cost me a penny. I actually had all the dental work I could possibly do done for free...root canal, crown, cleanings, and four wisdom teeth. It was nice too. The dental assistants I had were hot college girls that were used to working on old grouchy vets so when I would come in they would all come in and chat for a while. Loctite was right, no straws for a while after. They want your wounds to heal. I was told to gargle (lightly) salt water about three times a day though. Now days, most bases send you of base to a civilian oral surgeon for this type of work. Unlike Truat, there was no way I could have been awake for mine...I would have no part of that. :shock:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
All I have to say brother is "pain and a bloody pillow every morning", well, I had all four impacted and was out of work for a week, I never want to go through that again Tdown: Tdown: Tdown: Tdown:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I"ve got an appointment with the oral surgeon. Pain has subsided a bit, but its still swollen. Thanks for all the kind words, especially you, Mystical Legends. How could I go into the appointment without reminders of how potentially painful the process can be! clown:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
madcapmag said:
I"ve got an appointment with the oral surgeon. Pain has subsided a bit, but its still swollen. Thanks for all the kind words, especially you, Mystical Legends. How could I go into the appointment without reminders of how potentially painful the process can be! clown:
All you have is one impacted, you will be fine, the pain comes when all are bad and your doc doesn't like you :? did I say that outloud :lol:
In all seriousness, the pros will get you taken care of Tup:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Oh and I almost forgot to mention...
They tell you upfront about possibly hitting your nerve and leaving loss of feeling in your mouth/jaw. THAT IS NO JOKE!!!! I had no feeling on the lower right side of my mouth and right side of my tongue for about 3 months! I was freaked out and the docs were a little concerned too. Eventually all feeling came back, but it was a little worrisome.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Good luck Mad - and be certain to ask for the very best pain medication your Doctor will prescribe!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
i'm thinking a bottle of absent and a prescription of oxycodone is what you need. good luck with those teeth. you better hurry, springers are right around the corner wink:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... springer would be a drive...

Its done. They were bad. The teeth, not the doctors. Although, I will say, it was interesting listening to conversations because they share the office with a plastic surgeon. Things like... working out is not advisable after implants. I figured these couldn't be replacement teeth, unless people clench their teeth really hard while running.... Anyways, I went in, they put in the shots. I didn't want to be put under. Yes, I'm a dummy. They discovered that the wisdom tooth was impossible to remove without cutting it into pieces. That when I asked to be put under... felt like a night out with my friends.... Same deal with the other side, had to cut it into pieces. Got the oxycodon and I will be making good use of it, just like my avatar!

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I got to bootcamp, dentist looked at x-rays and put 4 x's on them..one in each corner. "Ummm, Doc...are you taking my wisdom teeth out?" :eek: 3 went fine, I think MAYBE 10 min for all 3. Number 4 was a BEAR...he used a NUTSPLITTER thing on it. I SWEAR, had it not been for the drugs I would have HURLED. The pressure, and CRACK when it split give me the heeby jeebies thinking about it!!!! Even worse, got sent to base hospital to recover, where they gave us a ham steak for dinner. Mine was tough and chewy...I was SO NUMB I was EATING MY OWN LIP!!! That is a no-shitter, and I approved this message!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts