Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really think that the president of the United States should have the name, Barack Hussein Obama. I know that I may be thought of as a racist(really I am not), but I am just being honest with the people of America and want to know if I am just being a total idiot about the whole thing and worrying about America and how it will be perceived in the eyes of other countries if he is elected our president. I know I will get flamed, but that's ok, I can take it. I'm a big boy and let me know how you feel about it, honestly. I guess there is a chance that I am the only one worried about this, but somehow I doubt it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
How do you think other countries will percieve us Red?

I think we broke the "name barrier" for Presidents back when we elected a guy named Millard Fillmore to the office.

Millard???

Come on... :lol:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably right Dizane, but I am just your average ******* citizen, maybe less then average who believes differently. I don't pay much attention to the caucuses anyway. Seems as though many folks really like him, he is definitely a smooth talker and a good basketball player. I guess I am just an idiot for thinking this way, I guess that is why I asked. Just to see where an average joe like me stood on the subject. I really don't think its quite the same as Millard Fillmore though..

Thanks

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I admire your honesty, and guts for posing the question, Red. I think the person's name is unimportant at least in regards to politics. Names can be changed, the character of the people running for president is far less likely to change, and is therefore of primary importance to me. If Obama or anybody else for that matter changed their name to something more "American" sounding it would make me more suspicious. What is an "American" sounding name anyway?

A name is just a label and subject to as many misinterpretations as any other label, like "liberal" or "conservative" both of which can get pretty nasty connotations associated with them which have nothing to do with the real meaning.

Like the Bard said, "that which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet"

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are absolutely right Traut, what is a name anyway. If he does a great job and leads the country, which he probably will, AWESOME. I think I will just shut my mouth and see what happens. :geek:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Dude, your opinion is as valid as anyone's.

That's why I asked you what you thought the reaction would be from other countries. conf:

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Red, is it because of his name or because of his mixed race heritage? Reality - yes you are probably a racist (big clue is when someone says that they are not racist, almost always means that they are). It's been my experience that these things change not gradually but in big leaps. We may see that in this election cycle, time will tell.

Having lived in a multi race culture that did not have the racial divide that we see in America, I would tell you that the biggest single thing that breaks the racial divide is marriage between the races. Awfully hard to downgrade another race if you happen to love a person of that race.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eddie said:
Red, is it because of his name or because of his mixed race heritage? Reality - yes you are probably a racist (big clue is when someone says that they are not racist, almost always means that they are).
I'm not going to sit here and try and defend myself on this one about whether I'm a racist or not. If you knew me, you would know it isn't true at all and probably laugh. I really do think it is the name that I had trouble with.

I'm sorry I totally lost track last night on my usual train of thought over the years about the presidency of our country with this stupid post. I am now back to my normal programming of not giving a chit who is president, whatever name, race or gender they are. Like it really matters much anyway, whoever it is will just be a pawn for whichever party wins and they same ol' government BS will continue..

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
I hope Obama doesn't win, I hope Hillary and company loses too. How they spell their name and what it is don't mean RA.
I don't condsider myself Racist either eddie. I do believe that mixed marriages, unless you happen to be a superstar, are saddled with some extras stress over and above the normal marital stresses. Love is grand but you cannot burn the calories. It has zero metabolic input.
Now you can go ahead and call me racist eddie but when you have taken a black high school junior, on your son's say so, into your home and gave him a home so that his graduation from high school was guaranteed, you can throw rocks. I have done it. And it was stressful at times, as putting any kid thru highschool can be. But it was successful and he now is a taxpaying part of the community. I, as you might surmise, feel good about it. It would have never happened if my son hadn't brought him into the home and pled his case.
I guess one should actually go out there and find some one to help. I suspect there are plenty of candidates.

I would rather not have to vote for McCain either but it looks as if that will be the only viable entre' on the plate.
I distrust him, but then I distrust Obama and Billary more.

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
Don't let it discourage you Red, Eddie has crystal balls, translucent, fragile and easily shattered. I think he pulled his psycho-analysis of you from the same orifice much of his other thoughts come from... :? :mrgreen:

A mans name is important. words have meaning. Names have meaning. The reason a man changes his name is very important. Example; I would want to know why a man would change his name from Billy Bob Buckmaster to Billy Bob Bombmaker....Wouldn't you? :mrgreen: It shows insight to his mentality... Tup:

Forgot to add...John Walker Lindh went by Sulayman al-Faris...Important? I think so...

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I would never vote for Obama. Am I a rascist?

I doubt it. If Collin Powell were running, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for him. He might be a liar, but I believe he really wanted NOT to lie but felt he had no choice but to support his boss.

Oh, gee, and Collin Powell actually HAS some experience where it matters. However, he just doesn't seem like the the HOPE and CHANGE kind of guy, even though he probably would be.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Hi Ff, I don't mean to say a name with some provenance has no weight. Who you are is often very important, especially to you. However, the thespians that inhabit our political arena have names that are just media tokens to be played with by the controllers of the public thought.

You got it fs. vacuous words devised by the campaign flakes to energize the mob. I do believe that Colin Powell is a man of honor. So is Norman Schwartzkoff. Neither would take the job even if drafted. You cannot own your own soul. AND the more money you can raise, others money, the more you owe.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Does anyone ever really step up and say, " I'm a racist " ??? I have certainly known and fished with a lot of folks that say things that seem to be racist, or at least bigoted to me, but they all assure me that they are not a racist or bigot...

If anyone out there claims to be a racist get it out there.. It might make it easier to decide if you wanna go to some sort of Gamefishin get together if people just got it out there..

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
If anyone out there claims to be a racist get it out there.. It might make it easier to decide if you wanna go to some sort of Gamefishin get together if people just got it out there..
Sorry, I am not a rascist. I am a religious bigot and proud of it. If your religion interferes with my rights or endangers my country, I DON'T LIKE YOU!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
What amazes me is all the people here that say “I am not racist� and then in the next post are busy hating and putting down the Indians because they have a “treaty right� to fish the same waters we like to fish. conf:mit you now had to punch summer runs.at a hatchery outlet like they are now, the adventurous fisherman could find some solitude and fish if you were willing to go and look for it.e="Confused" />ce Randall Opel Arlington, WA 19.14
$5000 2nd Place Michael Bredeson Everson, WA 16.12
$1,500 3rd place Damon

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Skorzeny said:
I hope Obama doesn't win, I hope Hillary and company loses too. How they spell their name and what it is don't mean RA.
I don't condsider myself Racist either eddie. I do believe that mixed marriages, unless you happen to be a superstar, are saddled with some extras stress over and above the normal marital stresses. Love is grand but you cannot burn the calories. It has zero metabolic input.
Now you can go ahead and call me racist eddie but when you have taken a black high school junior, on your son's say so, into your home and gave him a home so that his graduation from high school was guaranteed, you can throw rocks. I have done it. And it was stressful at times, as putting any kid thru highschool can be. But it was successful and he now is a taxpaying part of the community. I, as you might surmise, feel good about it. It would have never happened if my son hadn't brought him into the home and pled his case.
I guess one should actually go out there and find some one to help. I suspect there are plenty of candidates.

I would rather not have to vote for McCain either but it looks as if that will be the only viable entre' on the plate.
I distrust him, but then I distrust Obama and Billary more.
Jabba, I am not so naieve to believe that there is not some extra stress in an intermarriage situation, I do believe that the more intermarriage occurs the stresses will reduce and the racism will also reduce. I salute your help with the young man, however why do you feel it necessary to describe him as black? Were there not other, more relavent descriptors that you may have used?

I painted with a very broad brush with my previous contention regarding people who protest that they are not racist. As with any broad brush, there is some sloppiness involved. I commend Red for bringing up a subject that has probably gone through the mind of many. MLK said it best in his dream speech. I look forward to the day when we judge a man on the content of his heart rather than the color of his skin.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
[

What sort of extra stresses do you see in a "mixed" marriage??? I need to know what to look out for!! wink:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts