Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in an email labeled Danskin Wolf. This is a monster. When I was a teenager I used to hunt Danskin Mountain. It was a tough hunt as it was some pretty rough terrain getting there. We used to rent rafts and white water raft through the back side of it, too. There was an area called Devils Hole at the base of it. It was scary sounding. You had to come around a bend and all you could here is a deep rumble that sounded like an earthquake. You couldn't see it as it looked like a water fall. It was a big drop. It was a hairy spot but we always made it through. We did hang up on a rock one time, that could have submerged us, had we not gotten the raft off before it sucked a side down. We had to climb halfway onto the rock just to push us off. Very pretty place with deep canyon walls. This is one scary looking wolf. Friends that still live there say that you don't see coyotes any more as the wolves have killed them off. I had only seen one wolf my hole life there and it was about 15 miles south of Danskin Mountain. It was pretty big but not that big. They reintroduced a few of those wolves many years ago in northern Idaho and they have worked there way south and repopulated the area.

One of my friends was up here two years ago and said that the last time they went hunting in the woods in Idaho, that they saw the biggest wolf tracks they had ever seen. They were in heavy timber and left, as they felt threatened and could be getting stalked themselves. They said it was eerie feeling and went to less dense timber. I guess they have become a huge problem again.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Imagine crossing paths with that bad boy. It looks like something out of a movie.
Omar

·
2,222 Posts
I worked a lot of my life in Hunting in Alaska and have only seen a handlful that big in Alaska. That is an exceptional wolf from the lower 48. It's so big it looks fake! Assuming those guys are over 200 pounds that wolf must be well over 150. That is one fine specimen. What were the details on this wolf kill? Clearly it's dead, and with a helo in the photo.

·
Registered
520 Posts
NWFE said:
Wolves are becoming a huge problem in idaho,,,especially for farmers, elk and deer heards...
well heck why dont they trap them and put them somewhere that deer are having over population problems in eastern washington! I know some areas in eastern washington where deer are so thick that they are all over in the orchards eating apples and in peoples yards eating up shrubs etc... maybe some native natural predators would control the deer population in these places

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
that hellicopter is SWEET Tup:

the wolf is nice too

·
Registered
56 Posts
Goose: I hear you on the deer being to thick in spots in WA...it really makes for bad genes in the buck department!!! The screwed up thing is how they dont give some of us dual permits to harvest a buck and a doe and run that program for a few years..we need way better herd. Where I hunt in eastern WA we see around 1000 head of deer or more a year and anywere between 20 an 40 legal bucks..and maybe 2 to 5 really nice shooters if we are lucky...along with the 20 to 40 shooters we see a TON of immature bucks 1x3 2x2 2x3 things like that.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have anymore pictures. Actually Emmett is not super far away. I used to drag race there at Firebird Raceway. Hopefully you won't have any problems, Quills wife. It is a huge one. I figured that was the average size in Alaska. Guess not. I would tend to worry if I had small children in the area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts