Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hunting and fishing partner for the last 15 years or so died of a heart attack in his sleep last night (on my birthday). He was not yet 50 years old, he was a few years older than me but in a lot better shape. I have been trying to help his wife and family out but the problem is they don't know what his final wishes are as they have never discussed it. As outdoorsmen we spend alot of time in the outdoors in what could be dangerous situations. Not only can you die from natural causes at any age but being in the outdoors you can become lost, swept downstream, caught in avalanche, be in an overturned boat etc, etc, etc. His family sounds like they want to cremate him and have me sprinkle him where we hunted which is one thing that we have talked about, but he never talked about it with his family. Make sure you have these items covered before it is too late. As always make sure before you leave on your excursions at least one person will know where you are in case something does happen. This is a very hard time for me, he was a very special person and I want to make sure his final wishes come true. I would be willing to bet most people on this board are over 30 or more, make sure you get your health checked out and you get in shape before you hit the outdoors it can turn on you quick. Be careful everyone out there has someone who really loves or cares about you.

·
Registered
693 Posts
wow...i just lost a friend last week also. my wife and i used to work with him back in the mid seventies and she saw his obit in the paper. i hadnt seen him for about twenty five years but it still hits home. i can still hear his voice in my head and remember his smile. he was a year younger than me and i am 52. my dad went at the same age and it goes to show how one day everything is cool and wham...you cant take things for granted as life is so fragile. this is why i bought two boats to fish with my son and family and to provide memories fom my kids and grandchildren. its like that song says..."live like you were dieing" i am sorry for your loss, terry....

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Those are always great points to remember, sorry for the loss of your freind

·
Registered
209 Posts

wow that sucks , I am sorry for the lose ! :cry: :cry: a acouple of yrs ago I had my fishin partner pass away ,just like that !

verry tuff , good luck and reemeber , just wanting to be their for the family IS A HELP !!!
dave

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
you and your friends family are in my prayers! i am very sorry for your loss. hang in there!!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. My father lost his(our) best hunting partner several years ago. He fell out of his barn and died from a broken neck. We spread his ashes in his favorite hunting area. Everytime we go through that area we think of him. I don't know if it helped any but we have harvested more deer and elk in that area since Kenny was laid to rest there. I like to think that he is looking down enjoying the fact that we hunt his little spot. A good fishing and hunting partner is hard to find, once again, I'm sorry for your loss!

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I think it is honorable to have a friend who is willing to step in and help out a family during tough times.

·
Registered
946 Posts
SportJet said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. I think it is honorable to have a friend who is willing to step in and help out a family during tough times.
I agree.. clap:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
last couple years have been full of funerals for me , Heartbreaking , One thing You can do Is Help to make sure they eat , Have laundry done etc , Maybe this sounds simple but ordinary tasks seem to become laborious when you are mortified , I had to Keep telling My sis to go to the Doc and get some meds so she could sleep and eat when her son [my favorite nephew] died , she finally went to the doc and got some meds , I was glad I advised her to get professional help , Myself I don't know what i could do for My sis so, i talked to a counselor , He gave me professional advise ,that would be my two cents is if they are really bad off

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Wow. just like that. That really hurts. You are correct about taking care of our selves and staying in shape. It's no guarantee, but it's the best shot we have.

Thank you for being there for his family. That will mean very much to them. Now and in the future. Some times, we know more about our closest buddies than the immediate family does. Simply because we sit around the camp fire and shoot the s#*!. Sorry for your loss.

At least he went in his sleep. That's the best any of us can ever hope for. :cry: :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts