Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several people on this board that have their own fishing product line or fishing products that they make and distribute. I have come up with an idea for some fishing tackle that I and the few people I have shared my idea with think is an amazing idea. I have made several different examples and the people I have used them with think the idea is great and the product works awesome. I have talked to the US patent office and have started to submit some paperwork but it is very expensive. How have you guys started off with your buisiness, did you file for a patent? Did you contact a larger company to try and sell it to them? I am a little overwhelmed with the patent proccess right now. conf: Any advice or help/knowledge would greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
With respect to a patent, one of the more important things you need to keep in mind is that you have a 1-year deadline to file a patent application, measured from the earliest of your first public use, first offer for sale, or first publication of your invention. Be careful about "public use"... using a lure on a river with no other fishermen within sight of you, can be considered as a "public use"

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
IMHO, patents are a waste of time. If you know something will sell, then you have to make it of superior quality and give people a good price. If you get a good start at selling it to tackle shops or set up a website that is exclusive to this product, then you are bound to make a lot of money off of it before someone else figures out what you did to make it work. Hope this helps and make sure and post info on it when you release it. You've piked my interest.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
My suggestion would be to Sell the item/concept/design to a company who makes like products. They're likely better able to navigate the patent process if necessary and already have a marketing plan, dealer network, sales team, etc. I know, by working in the fishing tackle industry, that's it's VERY difficult for a small start-up business to "Make it." The better ideas are usually snapped-up by more "Solid" companies. If you decide to follow this path, I'd at-least get a lawyer involved to help negotiate the terms/royalties/etc. My $0.02. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to agree with peddler and powder. Patents are great.....and as you point out the process is expensive. But, if you think the application process is expensive, try a lawsuit to defend the patent. First mover advantage is the best rule to realize the greatest return on the invention. Selling the idea to another company is also a great idea. Pick the best partner.....someone who is already in the business and has the contacts in manufacturing and distribution. Good Luck!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree with the above comments. Unless your item is complex, truly innovative (different), and expensive with a great profit margin, then patents may be a waste of time and money. If you get a patent, be sure you have the funds and desire to protect it, because you will have to as soon as you start to make a profit.

My recommendation is to think out your product and incorporate all features that will make it the best. Knock-offs that aren't as good will not hurt your business, but knock-offs that are improvements will put you out of business.

Once you have perfected your product, be sure you can produce it in the quantities you need to keep up with demand. If you cannot keep up with demand, then a bigger company will knock you off.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Agreed...it is almost impossible to even get a patent on fishing tackle, not to mention the costs involved...the way to protect your ideas in the industry is to make the best one, at competitive prices, with the best customer service. There will always be companies like Danielson that are entirely based on cheap knockoffs...and there's nothing you can do about it.

My favorite steelhead worm is a type that is available from at least six different companies I can think of off the top of my head...they tinker with the colors, put different scents in them sometimes, put them in their own bags, and sell them as their own. Hell, I've got the molds for 'em, too...and you can buy the molds at the same place the worm companies do.

There are two worm companies out there right now using ideas that my business partner came up with...he approached them with the idea, they said "no", and then started making them themselves...nothing can be done about it.

Your best bet is to either find a company you trust to make them and pay you, or make them yourself and get yourself established as the manufacturer who makes the best one at the best price.

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyones input I have several worries about this. What I would like to do is sell this idea to a manufacture but I have heard stories both good and bad about this. I have heard of people who did well and sold their ideas and have talked to people who say they were ripped off. I don't know if it is feasable for me to even try and make this item at home in my garage, I have made all the prototypes there but for this item to make a good profit I will have to make tons of them. It is hard to describe what I mean without divulging the item. If I talk to a manufacture is there any procautions I should take to protect my interest?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
4tboys said:
Thanks for everyones input I have several worries about this. What I would like to do is sell this idea to a manufacture but I have heard stories both good and bad about this. I have heard of people who did well and sold their ideas and have talked to people who say they were ripped off. I don't know if it is feasable for me to even try and make this item at home in my garage, I have made all the prototypes there but for this item to make a good profit I will have to make tons of them. It is hard to describe what I mean without divulging the item. If I talk to a manufacture is there any procautions I should take to protect my interest?
A laywer with clout. Tup:

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
4t,

There are manufacturers out there that make your stuff for you...you provide designs, test prototypes, make design changes, and keep on top of the specs and the QA, but very few folks make their items in their garage...they just don't have the wherewithall to do so. What it's made of, rather than "what it is", is the important thing to know when finding a manufacturer to partner with.

If you want, you can send me an e-mail and we can talk about it a bit...I have some experience dealing with this stuff.

[email protected]

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for some of the ideas, I got a couple of good pms. Don't worry, the item I have is not a rival for any of the fishing gear that I know most of you produce on this forum. Todd I just got to my email it's after 12:00 I would like to email tomorrow with some Q&A, I really appreciate it.
Mike

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
dont forget us at gamefishin when you go to the big leagues wink:

Good Luck with it all!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts