Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hydraulic steering question for you boaters that know more than I.

I have a buddy that just purchased a new 22 1/2' open aluminum sled type boat.

We are in a delema on what steering to install.

It will have a console with a steering wheel and is it necessary to buy the hydraulic steering or will the regular type steering work?

Motor will be a 150 hp prop 4 stroke.

Thanks,
oldguy

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'd go hydraulic without a doubt.

I've driven identical boats (on test drives before purchase) and the hydraulic steering wins hands down as far as I'm concerned.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
I would go with hydraulic. I made the switch from rack and pinion to hydraulic on my boat. And will never go back. Hydraulic is so much nicer to use. With the HP your talking you will need a Sea Star system.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
With that kind of power, you will be fighting the prop's torque steer quite a bit with cable steering, and always have to play with the trim to minimize it. Go hydraulic, and turn the wheel with one finger while using any trim angle you desire without any pull in the wheel whatsoever. A 150 won't be unmanagable with cable steer, but you will gain a sugnificant amount of ease in the steering.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i guess maybe what would intrest me, would the cost of either system just to be able to turn the wheel with one finger, no pun intended,since its a open sled would you really need a hydrualic system.i dont run one on the c/w and its not anything to steer.just a thought.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all the answers. It is indeed expensive and thats why I asked the question.

Might try it without or go tiller.

Boat shop is open tomorrow and I will ask there and see what they recommend for the 150 hp.

oldguy

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I get a laugh out of these posts. Your buddy is buying a new sled and 4 stroke engine. Whats he gonna spend? 35-40 grand?

IMO,if you're spending that much money you should do it right. Don't start skimping on things.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree with hunter p. on this one. I know first hand about skimping. When I bought my boat I opted for the 60hp motor instead of a 90, It has only been 2 years and I really wish I had spent just a little more money at that time, and motor is just one of the items that I would change. Ahhh well living is learning. Good luck

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
while i agree with h/p if your gonna do it,do it right.when your buying a boat that bottom line price always seems to grow bigger in the end than in the beginnin,so sometimes one has to look at the little things prices,because it could make or break your pocket book.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
mics said:
while i agree with h/p if your gonna do it,do it right.when your buying a boat that bottom line price always seems to grow bigger in the end than in the beginnin,so sometimes one has to look at the little things prices,because it could make or break your pocket book.
IIRC the hydraulic steering for my boat was about $1000.

On a $35,000 loan for 10 years (pretty common term) at 7% interest,the difference in the boat payment with hydraulic steering would be about $9-10 a month.

IMO if that $9-10 is gonna make or break the deal,you need to be looking at less boat.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My buddy decided to go with no feedback steering as hydraulic is very close to breaking the bank. If it doesn't work might have to borrow some of Hunter P's extra cash to gett'er done.

mics, yer pretty much right one as to what adds to the original price of purchase. Those "little" add-ons get the costs right up there.

Thanks to all for the help,

oldguy

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
mics said:
i guess maybe what would intrest me, would the cost of either system just to be able to turn the wheel with one finger, no pun intended,since its a open sled would you really need a hydrualic system.i dont run one on the c/w and its not anything to steer.just a thought.
It's a prop boat. If it was a 150 jet, hydro-steering would not give much advantage. Turning the nozzle on even your jet Mics could easily done with some kind tiller mechanism. Minimal torque steer there. Oldguys buddy will be fine without. Like I said, not unmanagable. Just needs to tweek that fin on the cavatation plate to minimize the pull in the wheel that the boat will have on step, and especially under acceleration.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
How do those guys that run big open boats with big tiller outboards handle all the torque? I've fished with Eric Linde in his big North River sled. He's running a 200 (I think) Yamaha with a prop, and doesn't seem to have any torque feedback when accellerating.

Is it just a good balance of prop, trim, and "skeg" adjustment?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Bay Star is the way to go for hydraulic steering on a 150HP. Put it on my boat (150HP Yamaha) and love it.

Hint: Before you purchase, read the clearance requirements and measure the transom area to make the there is enough room for the steering bar to fully extend on both sides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts