Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If I remember right, the crank and spool of line was not used as winch. The line is spooled out to the animal, then pulled out by driving the truck forward - then cranking in the slack line.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JJHACK said:
Best you replace that handle with a motor starter and a battery. Hand cranking that without a gear box will likley kill you!
After getting the animal to the landing or road just turn the handle on the puller to rewind the rope. NOTE: You do not wind the handle and reel the animal in with it.

oldguy

·
Registered
903 Posts
Watched some guys stringing out about that much rope last year to a bull. The time they spent figuring out how to route it, we would have had the elk quartered and half out. We didn't wait around to see how it worked.

·
Registered
109 Posts
EM, If you were in the Clockum during rifle season down past the porta potty it was us! I kind of thought the same thing, until you was the hole it was in. It did take some work to set up. I got to tell ya it pulled that spike two point out of that hole without using up any of us old guys. If you are going to do this I suggest that you have a good "working" knowledge of how to rig line and be slow and safe. One of the cliffs was almost shear. You also need a big strong bag so you don't wear out the hide. I can't remember how long of line we had out.... really really long. It was a blast. I can't stress the SAFETY issue enough!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Wasn't me in the clockum, went there once, won't go back, we left before even using our two cow tags. That area is insane. We were down in the Mossyrock area. First time there also, quite a few people also, but they tend to stay on the roads.

Good point about the heavy bag with dragging. I wondered what the long drag would do. Seemed like a long drag would end up dragging on meat after a while. Do you have pics of what you are using? I don't plan to set up this way, but those that do might be very interested.

·
2,222 Posts
I've given this some thought now, as I'm all for making my life easier.

However......... I think that the investment in a winch is far more practical for many reasons. I've used my winch to haul very big game like bison out of a ditch, or up the side of a long steep hill. The investment in rope is the same, but the control and power, especially when you're alone is significantly better.

Using the truck to pull the game when alone leaves you with the hope that nothing is hung up as you drive away. The Winch has 130 feet of cable. With 1000 feet of rope you must do it in 125 foot segments, but you can actually watch the operation as it's happening. You can also use two people so that one can guide the animal up and communicate problem sections along the way.

The Winch can also be used to hoist game up to hang from a tree and to get out of trouble when stuck. The Winch on my truck is used quite frequently for landing trees exactly where I want them when cut down, to pulling up fence posts, moving huge boulders, etc. etc. Maybe a guy without a farm or other large acreage has less use, but the end of the day, that investment in the wind up spool just does not have any other use, and is quite difficult to use for game recovery when you're alone.

I would opt for the winch over this device for my needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts