Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:x Went to disco bay yesterday to spend the day with the family. There are hundreds if not thousands of crab pots covering the entire bay as far as my bino's could see... Funny, we could never crab during the spring due to softshell damage to the crab populations. I guess the commercials (tribal or otherwise) don't harm them as bad as we do when the molt is hot and heavy. Either that or we've always been fed a line of BS from WDFW in regards to molting season, or the damage we inflict on them during that time. It gets old seeing the same old BS year in and out. Should be some great crab prices coming to a local market real soon! :evil:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah Elkrun I too have allways had a big problem with the "others" being able to crab during the molt season. If anything I think they do more damage to throw back crabs than alot of recreational crabbers. They have to have large boats to hold all thier pots and get around in the winter weather - well with those large high sided boats they are throwing thier crabs back into the drink from waaaaaay the hell up high, and the bio's with WDFW say that crabs hitting the water while in soft shell stage is what does the most damage. These guys are NOT handling the crab any better than the average recreational crabber. They toss them from way up high to explode onto the water(I have seen this with my own two eyes BTW), and hell most sport crabbers are alot more careful with crab handling as they don't want to get pinched, but to the "others" time is money and they are used to yarding them out and as quickly(see roughly) as possible, and then giving them a good heave - all too often during the peak of molting season. Tdown: sick:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts