Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is one of the rigs in my aresenal that kills the lings. The nice thing about this rig is that it is cheap (no costly metal jigs stuck on the bottom, lost to Davy Jones) and you can target lings and rockfish at the same time. There are some stipulations to this rig. If the current is running hard, you will have to use extra weight to get down, keep the line straight with the boat, or abandon the rig. I would not consider this a deep water rig. this is for your hotspots that are 120' or less (which, if you are fishing Neah Bay, is the case for 95% of the season due to the depth restriction).

This is a dropper rig: Swimbait on the bottom and a dropper loop 18" up from the swimbait. Small plastic grub, shrimp fly, or other small lure sits off the dropper loop. there are a couple ways to tie this thing, and I will show you both.

METHOD #1:

YOU NEED: 40 to 65 lb test mono, a swimbait (the ones in the pics are Calcutta = $3.49 for a package of 3), a small fly or hooch, and a low ball glass of Jack on the rocks.

First, tie a trilene knot to the head of the swimbait. You can tie any knot you want. I just like the trilene knot because I can tie it well and it has not failed me. Since my pictures are not the best, I will give links to a knot tying website that has animated pictures to help you tie a variety of knots.

The Trilene Knot:The Trilene Knot

Use your fingers to push the knot down tight against the loop hole of the swimbait. Also take a pliers and pull the tag end, while pushing the knot down on the loop hole. Trim the tag end and it will look like this:

Next, go 18" up the line from the swimbait and tie a dropper loop. You'll have to forgive me as I had to take most of these pictures. My girlfriend was "too busy" aside from a couple pictures. I didn't start using the "close up" setting on the camera until the last grouping of pictures.

The Dropper Loop:
The Dropper Loop

You can put a snap on the dropper loop, or like I did in the next pic, just put the loop over your lure

Thats all there is to it. If you lose this rig on the bottom, you are only out a couple bucks. As far as coloring schemes, I like to put a solid white swimbait on the bottom, and a dark lure on the top. Obviously, I couldn't find the swimbaits I wanted for the pics, but oh well. Experiment with different colors and see what happens. Sunny days are going to be different than cloudy days.

METHOD #2

YOU NEED: 130# Mono, Double Barrel Crimps, Crimpers, Swimbait, Swivel, small lure (fly, hooch, etc), and second glass of Lucky No. 7 on the rocks.

Cut about a 3' section of line. Put a crimp on the line and then thread the line through the loop on the swimbait as shown:

I always burn the tag end just in case the crimp fails and begins to slide, the connection has something left to carry some load:

Once you have your loop size decided upon, it is time to crimp. So when you buy crimps, it will tell you how big a crimp you need for the size of line you have. the crimper will also have markings on it so you know what notch to use.

The chart on the back of the crimp package looks like this:

And the crimper looks like this:

Crimp that bad boy down. Don't be shy.

And there you go:

Now, slide a barrel crimp 18" up the line, but do not crimp yet.

Stick another line in other side of the barrel crimp. the line should be facing away from the swimbait. Crimp it down:

This line should be a total of 6 inches long. you don't want it too long because it will wrap around the main line and you don't want it too short because it won't have the proper action.

Now, put a loop on the end of the 6 inch piece and a duo snap lock. This will allow you to easily change out the top lure, no problem:

Now, go up to the top of the leader and put one more crimp and loop...and you're done:

The Bottom Swimbait:

The Dropper Rig:

Neah Bay....HERE WE COME!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The above are all direct links to .jpg files. Give me some time and I will reduce the pixel length and width so the actual picture comes up without having to click on it....OK DONE...That only took an hour.

Hey Doc. Hook - Is there anyway to reduce the pixel size automatically when someone posts a picture from photobucket. I know of some other sites that automatically compress the file. Photobucket just modified their tool for compressing pics. and it is a PAIN IN THE ***.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post all the information! I'm sure alot of us will find that useful this summer. clap:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Great post!! Thanks for taking the time.

You say that we ned to add extra weight if the current is running hard. Can you explain how you add the extra weight to this rig?

Slabby

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slabby20 said:
Great post!! Thanks for taking the time.

You say that we ned to add extra weight if the current is running hard. Can you explain how you add the extra weight to this rig?

Slabby
1. Current isn't running too bad, you just want a little bit extra lead: Get the needle lead and stick a few in the swimbait.
2. Current is running pretty good, and you can't hold bottom for more than a couple seconds: use a banana sinker: I know this gives you a double bump feeling to the jigging action, but I can usually feel the swimbait hit the bottom and know how I need to jig it.
3. Current is impossible: Change the Swimbait out for a Bullet Leadhead jig with scampi (white). You can put a Heavy duty duo snap lock on the bottom line too. That way you can change out the swimbait or lead head easily.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Cornfed-

This is an awesome Tup: clap: wink: post with some great info. Thanks a ton for taking the time to put it all together. Now, get ready to answer a bunch of questions Tup: .

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Great post!

While I have never tried the dropper, I have used those swimbaits. They work great. I find that I just keep a roll of pencil lead in the boat. If I'm not getting down I'll cut an inch or two of lead off the roll and stuff it in the belly of the bait. This doesn't seem to affect the action of the bait too much and it can really help get your bait down in the water column.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts