Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regardless of your party affiliation, we have 3 state Senators that serve on the Senate Natural Resources, Ocean & Recreation Committee that need to be voted out in the next election. I know it might sound partisan to some of you because they're all democrats, but even Todd (if he were here) would agree these people have been BAD for our fishery resources.

Harriet Spanel from the 40th district; term expires 1/09
Brian Hatfield, vice chair from the 19th district; term expires 1/09
James Hargrove from the 24th district; term expires 1/09

Senator Ken Jacobsen, (D) the chair is not up for reelection until 2010, but he must also be replaced and that will be very difficult indeed. He is a 20 year incumbent.

These are people who ALWAYS side with commercial fishing interests. Jacobsen has tried to take control of our Fish and Wildlife Commission in the current session, and has refused to "seat" Gregoire's appointments except for George Orr, who is already being controled by commercial interests.

Any thoughts Sledgehammer and the rest of you?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Well, I would love to see them voted out, and anyone else in office that is not held accountable for their lack of accomplishing anything. The government no longer works for the people. Big changes need to happen soon.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'd LOVE to vote those asshats out too! But... unfortunately I don't live in any of their districts. Tdown:

Rosemary McAuliffe is my state Senator. Is she a party to this at all? :?

We need a whole lot more Bob Oke's! RIP.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to go down to Olympia for the day and see just what they actually do. No time to address the latest Sonics proposal, not taking care of the fish, floating tax initiatives based on engine displacement, promoting gill netting, ferries all of a sudden too corroded for service, the list can go on and on. I think the capital needs a colonic.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to see sport fishers actively campaigning for their opposition. I would if they were my reps. Getting the word out to friends, family and neighbors, cough up a little money, make some calls... Even get the opposition to come to sport fishing meetings!

Of the three listed, I think Harriet Spanel would be the easiest to unseat up in the Bellingham area. The margin of her last win wasn't that great.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Would letting those people know that they are being targeted by a large group of unhappy people effect their behaviour?
Would letting anyone that might like to make a run at their office know that there is some support out here do any good?
I kinda get the feeling that these folks are so well imbedded and barbed that they are untouchable short of hiring a few Soldiers of Fortune to form a wet team.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Wham Bam said:
I'm with you 100% on this. But what can we really do, other than vote in our own districts?
Send 20 bones to their opponents.

FS do you have time to look that up?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jabba, Harriet Spanel is vile. She was recorded at a confirmation meeting for Clyde McBrayer saying sport fishers were greedy and selfish in regards to crab. Even though recreational crabbers get FAR less allocation than commercial crabbers. Todd may still have that recording, but I will NEVER forget hearing it. At a time when the commission was heavily favoring commercial interests, those Senators gave McBrayer, a sport fishing advocate, no end of grief.

Spanel caters to the Bellingham commercial crabbers, and looks after her good friend, Commissioner Will Roehl. She doesn't deserve to be given ANY consideration IMO. She's one of the reasons we've never been able to gain a reasonable crab allocation.

Brian Hatfield should KNOW he's a target. He sent the commission a letter a few months ago, basically demanding Columbia gillnetters get half the impact allocation, even though it means far less fishing for the sport side, and that more wild ESA listed fish would die and never make it back to spawn.

Hargrove has always been uncooperative to sport interests.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh... to answer the second part Jabba, YES! I do think getting sport fishers behind the oppostion and supporting them loudly will matter. Especially if we give them issues they can campaign on, like the poor state of our fisheries resource. It might not be a big issue with John Q. Public just yet, but salmon restoration affects and costs us all billions. Meanwhile, these characters go about trying to assure salmon extinction by protecting commercial industrial fishing interests, regardless of costs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts