Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have the platform on the boat, the lights mounted and the bow ready to go. I have not put in enough practice shooting yet, but that's the only thing remaining now. I guess I'll look of the Yamaha engine as well but that's a pretty solid machine.

This will be the first year living on this side that I'll be ready to go when it's warm enough. Lat year I moved during the late spring and missed most of the best shooting.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm not going to be ready it looks like. I do not have the bow yet. I (think) I am going to end up with a recurve.
I still have a few hrs worth of work to do on the boat. I have to finish the 24 volt system. The new optima's, and charger are sitting in my garage ready to go in. I need a couple of battery straps, and the plugs for both ends for the 80 maxum minkota to make it easy to take it off the boat, and disconnection while charging. I went stearn mount on the electric. So it will not be the best set up for 1 guy. When you try to have 1 boat that does it all ther is a ton of compromising.
The boat will be ready for my son. I just may not get a chance to go until the end of June or so when I get a break. By then my son will have it wired (hopefully) and he can tune me in. He did a bit of carp shooting in Cal while he was down there. He said I NEED to do this...I guess it is kind of addicting.

What do you think about a recurve vs a compound for carp? Its time to get serious, and make a decision. I've been dragging my feet, and passed up on some good deals on compounds.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Can't wait! Trying to figure out when to get it in the schedule. Turkey scouting-this weekend, youth turkey in two weeks, turkey &, halibut opening the following weekend, lingcod Tup: first of May, hot local spring sturgeon right now till June.....

I might not be doing it till this summer :(

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recurves are great for bowfishing, I would not get one that has a high draw weight, 50lbs is plenty. The advantage is that I often remain at draw for a minute when the fins are barely visible and then they move into a clear spot of water and I can take a shot.

I've gone to the Oneida Ospery which is a compound that has recurve limbs, an odd design, but it's got the advantage of the recurve with the letoff of the compound. What ever you choose it should be shot with fingers not a release. Bowfishing with a release is a horror show. That release is a slimy disgusting mess and the line to the arrows is always getting tangled up in the dangling release.

Next you need to invest in two things to make the whole package come together. Arrow slides to connect the sting to the arrows, and the retirver reel. With these to items and shooting with fingers you will be way ahead on the equipment learning curve, and the success and enjoyment will come quickly for you.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
We did some carp blastin with our 12 gauges during dove season on his ponds in Ephrata, might take the compounds out there this year, or maybe the .17 HMR's.............some of those carp are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they make a neat splash when hit with a 12 gauge.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No skin off my neck but if you get caught shooting into the water with a bullet prepare for some legal issues from F&G. Odds are probably low to zero anyone could catch you.

Bullets will riccochette and travel a long way off of the water and end up in wierd places. It's why F&G takes issue with it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Thanks!
How high is your platform JJ?
So if you have lights, I am assuming you can night shoot these things?? Excuse me for not reading the regs. Now that sounds like even more fun. Ever blow gunned bullfrogs? They are tough...lol! I have bow lights on my boat already, but I also have a 12 volt plug in that works great for a portable light. A piece of 2" pvc fits right in most rod holders, and you can slip the handle of your light in the end of the pvc with your rodholder pointed straight up and that works great for those that need a easy to install light that you can let go of, and point in any direction.
I better read the regs before I get too excited. Maybe the lights are for runnig back to the ramp in the dark.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lights are fine, no legal issues at all. Running off the battery will get you about 30 minutes of hunting. I use 3-500 watt halogens from Home depot and run them off the little honda Generator. 12 hours of 1500 watt lighting rocks!

My platform is about 30" above the water level and my foot controls for the trolling motor are on that platform. When you see the carp ahead, their eyes reflect like a deer. You give it some power then drift towards them, draw the bow and shoot when in range. The lights at night are so much better for beginners because once the refraction is sorted out and you know how low to aim and it never changes. Shooting during the day the refraction changes every 30 minutes or so with the angle of the sun.

In clear water like the columbia you can shoot carp 4 feet deep or so with the lights. Plus you see all kinds of other things. Like huge bass, catfish, beavers, snakes, turtles, schools of panfish. I often bring a spinning rod for the catfish so once they are spotted I can cast a bait to them. I also use this carp hunting adventure as a scouting trip for late summer fishing after the carp have moved to deeper water and there are not as many to shoot. 1500 watts of lights shining into the water lets you see pretty darn good!

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My buddies boat in Oklahoma, he's a serious competitive bowfishing tournoment champion. I've fished with him a whole lot and this boat is the ultimate bowfishing machine. The entire bottom of the boat under the floor is storage for the fish.

Mine is quite a bit smaller scale!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Wow...Those are specialized machines!
I've got the lights, and generator. I would'nt have to do much to get set up to night shoot.
The only thing that sucks is that stearn electric, and working all spring, and most the summer.
Thanks for the pics, and insight!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I spent a few months in the midwest working on some habitat projects and saw a few bowfishermen. It looked like a total hoot! There was a father and son pair we saw regularly. They had a Livingston that was setup very nicely. We came across lots of carp in our work and always told the bowfishers where we'd been seeing them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
HOLY... Those are serious stalking machines! Guess i missed something on how this sport has progressed... It's been a few years but we use to head over to the potholes area and shoot them from the bank during the middle of the day during Dove season. I have no idea what part of the season that is... What's the best time of year for bowfishing?

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Carp are great for the fruit trees and the garden, also make awsome coyote bait. I don't know if the coyotes are eathing the carp but they sure prey on all the little stuff that does eat them.

Also Baby Pheasants will searchout insects which is why they are so often found near small streams and standing water in summer. When the carp are covered in Maggots the birds will always be near them picking off the bugs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Part of the habitat work I mentioned included trapping fish and many of those were carp. We released them alive but a local sportsman's club got the OK from the DNR to take a bunch of them for some festival they were having. They gave us some of the smoked product and it was the most foul thing I've ever tasted. It may have been their smoking method, it may have been that the water was in the high 70's, or it may have been because the carp were spawning, but they had the consistency of moist sand.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Watched a segment on Northwest Outdoors on the Outdoor Channel last night, they were carp hunting on Long Lake. Guy could get pretty stoked watching them. My son is hounding me to go.

·
Registered
583 Posts
One of my coworkers and I always thought it would be cool to keep some of the bigger carp we caught and use them to test self defense ammo.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
JJHACK said:
I don't know if the coyotes are eathing the carp but they sure prey on all the little stuff that does eat them.
Last year while fishing at Brownlee Reservoir we watched 2 coyotes stalking carp. One was slowing wading in the shallows herding them. The second one was on the bank and every so often he would jump in the water head first. At the time we didn't know what was going on and found it entertaining and cute. Then about an hour later and several jumps later that darn coyote came up with a huge carp. Talk about a splash fest, as soon as he locked his jaws all heck broke loose. The other coyote quickly joined and they both drug it up on the bank. They didn't eat it there though, we watched them drag it up the steep hill until they crossed over the ridge.
And of course after they were out of site I thought crud, I could have recorded it. But now I know, and I'm sure it's something they've been doing for a while. So next time I'll be recording.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts