Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I caught a large silver and immediately weighed it using my berkely digital scale it showed 14lbs 15oz, which I thought was odd as I have caught many silvers that were smaller but weighed more than this one. When I got home I decided to weigh the fish again for the heck of it (after being bled and dead for several hours) and the scale said 15lbs 3oz :? . I then measured the fish and it was 32 inches long and had a 21 inch girth, so I went online and used many of the online weight calculators for salmon and got anywhere from 16.5 to just over 20 :eek: . So do guys think my scale is accurate or off a bit?

Pics don't do the fish justice

·
Registered
698 Posts
The scale I have used over the last 6 months is called accu-cull. It is a tournament bass scale and weighs in 100th of a pound. VERY accurate.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The only real way is to check it with another scale. Those Berkleys are pretty good scales. And what a hog of a silver! Good going! Tup:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Based on fish I've caught thats about spot on for a 15lb fish. Those scale are pretty darn accurate. A 20lb fish usually is 35-37" long with a porpotionate girth. Also those fish calculators are junk, most grossly over-weight fish by 10-20%.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice fish!!
I also have a berkley digital scale - compared it to my postal scale and it was dead nuts...

·
Registered
716 Posts
yep thats a 15# wild boot Tup:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DOWN said:
yep thats a 15# wild boot Tup:
That original photo does make the fish out to be a little booty. Here's a better one that was taken just after it was caught, not chrome bright by any means but still pretty good color and it cut WAAAY to nice to be a boot wink: .

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions Tup: . I weighed a 10lb downrigger ball and it came up right about 10lbs. I then weighed my 30 or 35lb (can't remember which) river anchor and it came up 27lbs, so I think its still a bit wacky but it will do for now. I might try one of those other scales in the future though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've had the Berkley scale and didn't think much of it. Did a lot of research trying to find a really good 50lb digital scale. I ended up with a Salter-Brecknell ElectroSamson. It's very, very accurate, about $70-$80 and a great scale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts