Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in-laws would like to have an estimate for new siding on their split-level home in DesMoines. Any suggestions/recommendations?

They received a bid of $21,000 for approximately $2300 sq-ft of vinyl installed with a vapor barrier over their old siding. I have NO experience in this dept, so any opinion/suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
No experience here either but I do know if it were mine I would not overlay the siding.I have seen a few places where the existing siding caused defects(problems) in the siding that covered it.

·
Banned
733 Posts
I have a buddy that sides for a custom home builder and he was saying they wont be starting there new plat untill the summer so I know he will be looking to pick up some jobs. Pm me if your interested in his contact info.
Omar

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
My Grandson has his own Siding business and travels to all areas. He is licensed, bonded and insured and has a very reputable reputation in the industry, has alot of experience with all types of exterior siding and is very affordable..... Let me know if you need some contact information and I will forward it to you A.S.A.P.

Bubba

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Look through the Master Builders of King County. You should be able to find a pretty good deal right now from just about anyone in construction. Remember to always get 3 or more bids.
Also be careful with siders, they are usually the guys who aren't smart enough to frame.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I will have to watch this post. I will need my siding replaced maybe this summer. I have LP and want to go with Hardie Plank.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Hey with all you guys getting your siding done dont forget your fellow gamefishin painter when the time comes wink:
Omar

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
Why is the siding being replaced? If the existing siding is defective or on any recall list, covering it will create legal issues. Now, due to new legislation in Washington State, buyers (if the house is ever sold) CAN sue for negligent misrepresentation. In other words remove it completely if it's LP or other recalled products regardless if signs of failure are present or not...

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fishinfoolz said:
Why is the siding being replaced? If the existing siding is defective or on any recall list, covering it will create legal issues. Now, due to new legislation in Washington State, buyers (if the house is ever sold) CAN sue for negligent misrepresentation. In other words remove it completely if it's LP or other recalled products regardless if signs of failure are present or not...
Why is it being covered? Because my in-laws don't "know" what they've actually got, and won't listen to reason. They've got CEDAR horizantal siding. The paint is badly peeling and at some point holes had been drilled out of it for the addition of insulation. The plugs are sinking in and/or falling out. They think it's better to cover with vinyl, but I think they'd be better-off for future resale and financially to just have it professionally scraped clean, the plugs repaired and have a high-quality new paint job done.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If the siding isn't punky and decaying, there should be no reason a quality repair of the siding and paint job by professionals shouldn't be all that is needed. If the siding is failing because of moisture, you need to solve the problem, not cover it up.
Try contacting the PDCA (Painting and Decorating Contractors of America) in your county or the MBA (Master Builders of America) in your county for a list of qualified and proven contractors. Estimates are free.
Vinyl siding is not maintenance free.

·
Registered
196 Posts
About five years ago, I faced the replacement of my LP siding. I thought about beveled cedar and HardiPlank. I got several quotes for both options. I ended up oging with HardiPlank and used NW Re-Siding Consultants. http://www.replaceyoursiding.com/

The Hardi Plank is guaranteed for 50 years. It is cement, so it isn't going anywhere.

Isaac Lee also partnered with a painting contractor (John Rankin) using Kelly-Moore paint. They had worked with James Hardy Industries on an application process and were able to offer a 25 year guarantee on the paint work.

I was impressed with the specific details that he requires for every siding or re-siding job. When he explained his quote, I was seeing $$, but he was the cheapest.

2500 square foot, two story home. Remove old LP, re-paper, reside with HardiPlank, 5 mil paint job. $14,000

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the tips and ideas guys, they've rushed to their decision already though... Tdown:

·
Registered
398 Posts
i am a union carpenter, i like hardi plank it is a very good durible product. it is also good looking if done properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts