home made pizza options | Page 2 | Gamefishin.com

home made pizza options

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by reelinanrockin, Aug 3, 2008.

1. bing

bing Active Member

here's what I do for basic pizza dough

4 cups flour
    1 tbsp. salt
    1.5 cups luke warm water
    1 tsp yeast
    1/4 tsp sugar

mix water yeast and sugar and let sit 20 minutes
    add flour and salt to mixer with dough hook and add water mixture slowly (or mix dough by hand)
    let dough rise for an hour or so, knead dough down 3 or 4 turns and will make three 11 ounce dough balls

2. fishslave

fishslave Well-Known Member

Sounds like an "Artisan" Pizza. I bet that's very good!

There's a deli down the road from me that makes one with a well oiled and seasoned soft sourdough crust. My favorite of theirs has no sauce, just their homemade italian sausage and 3 cheeses. About 3 minutes before it's done, they add lots of fresh chopped tomatoes, olives and green onions.

They make another, steak and mushroom. Again, no sauce. I bet with pesto, it would be awesome!

I have tried to make similar pizza's at home and while they come out good, the crust is never perfect. Sourdough is an art that I have not mastered. :(

Bing, if you left that dough in the fridge for a week, then used it, it would be incredible. wink:

3. bing

bing Active Member

A day is best, a week would be waaay overproofed and flat, I usually make a pizza with one ball after it proofs, and freeze the other 2 balls. It thaws and proofs nicely out of the freezer.

4. fishslave

fishslave Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but there is a trend that says letting your dough cold ferment or "sour" for a week makes a superior crust.

5. bing

bing Active Member

I don't know if I could wait that long :) I'd be drooling all week!!

I've got tomatoes left over from a batch of chili I made earlier in the week and mozzeralla in the fridge still so I'll make some dough and let one of the balls ferment and document the results.

6. bing

bing Active Member

alright, dough is chillin

7. bing

bing Active Member

Used the dough after a week. I did notice a sour note to the flavor, not bad.