Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to sportsman's to get some rounds for my 7mm ultra mag. box of twenty 56.75 are you kidding me! Why are they so expensive? Last year I paid 32.00 for a box. It's not like they have 94 octane gas in them. Tdown:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captainpuget said:
Yep, all ammo has gone up & up & up. Not sure why, maybe the price of metals. Tdown:
I guess so.. that just blew my mind. I figure after taxes they are getting 3.00 a shell. INSANE. looks like i might be bore sighting this year Tdown:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
The new cabelas reloading cataloge has little disclaimer boxes stating that ammo prices have went up due to the wars in iraq and afghanistan. I bet the 7mm ammo is pricey cause all the factories are makin .223.

·
Administrator
13,956 Posts
Captainpuget said:
Yep, all ammo has gone up & up & up. Not sure why, maybe the price of metals. Tdown:
Yep.. It's the War causing the price increase. Tdown:

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
The ever increasing price of lead is a major driving force.

You think 7mm UM is bad, try shooting a 50 BMG rifle.

Even with reloading these, I am afraid to see what the price is going to be to buy the components.

·
2,222 Posts
I do some Engineering work now and then at ATK in Lewiston, One of the largest sporting arms manufacturers in the world. They told me that the ammo for the wars had no impact at all on sporting ammunition. The cost has gone up for the limited production cartridges like Weatherby, Ultra's and several shortmag cartridges. Ammo like 308, 223, 25/06, 270, 30/06, many standard handgun cartridges, and shotgun shells, etc have actually come down in price even for premium bullets. The fella at ATK told me it's kinda like buying an expensive sports car, if you can afford the car you don't worry about the MPG's

Well, I'm not sure thats a perfect analogy, because lots of guns cost the same regardless of cartridge. However Weatherby rifles do cost quite a bit more, as do some of the others. I believe that the costs have gone up based on EPA hazards, insurnace, fuel for shipping components, and then the finished cases to the stores. The Cost of doing business in this industry is significant, we are talking about quite a bit of weight, and hazardous shipping costs.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The price of metals has had an effect on price as has the war for military rounds....5.56, 7.62, .50BMG. I don't know what the dude at ATK was smokin' but battle packs of 7.62 and 5.56 have doubled or tripled in the last couple of years and for a while 7.62x39 was a biatch to find. Not too many years ago a case of 1440rds of 7.62x39 was $79.00 now a 1000rds is $200 +/- shipping. I ratholed some 10 boxes of Federal Premium .308 168gr Matchkings for my M1A that my cost 3 years ago was under $11 per box....now dealer cost is over $20. Ammo like gas is goin' up so buy it while you can.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mna that sucks, I was at joes the other day lookin at rounds for my .22 and I saw the 54-65 dollar boxes of shels! crazy another reason I love acrhery.. I get my arrows back after I shoot them

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I was reading last weeks issue of "Army TImes" and saw a little break down of some numbers etc.

471 Million small caliber ammunition rounds (5.56, 7.62, .50-Cal, pistol and shotgun) have shipped to Army and Marine Corps forces in SW Asia since the beginning of OIF.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The_Rook said:
I went to sportsman's to get some rounds for my 7mm ultra mag. box of twenty 56.75 are you kidding me! Why are they so expensive? Last year I paid 32.00 for a box. It's not like they have 94 octane gas in them. Tdown:
Any round that holds that much powder is bound to be expensive...But your right!!!! Almost 60 bucks is redickolis. Better save those, and warm up with something else.
Buy GOLD! or wish you would have.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts