·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Clayton reports on ESPN that Holmgren will be back next year. Tup:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Sound's like we can make one more run at the big game with Holmgren behind the wheel..... :D

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
He just said it will be his last year.. Look for fake punts, onside kicks, flea flickers, the statue of liberty, blowing up the salary cap to go for it all..

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'll believe the flea flickers and statue of liberty when I see it. I'd like
to see Seneca earn his 3 million.

Hopefully "win one for the coach" will work.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
powder said:
::waits for Iceshark's response::
What response. I was right on! I said he would be gone or back for a final season. And he is back for one final season. Then Mora takes over. JUST LIKE THE REPORTS SAID!

The Hawks only have to put up for the loser one more year! Then its asta la vista!

GO MORA!

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Ice ... read this one and see whatcha think dood :mrgreen: Coaching is not the Seahwaks challenge right now. I would not be surprised to see Shawn released :eek:

Shaun Alexander's productivity tailing off
Alexander's productivity tailing off, and at 30, he's getting long in the tooth

By CLARE FARNSWORTH
P-I REPORTER

KIRKLAND -- It seems like only a couple years ago that Shaun Alexander arrived as a first-round draft choice, the glow of his unlimited potential matched only by the radiance of that trademark grin.

The Seahawks really didn't need Alexander, the workhorse running back from Alabama, because they already had Ricky Watters. But Alexander was simply too good to pass up with the 19th selection in the 2000 draft.

Eight seasons later, Alexander has become Watters.

A prolific back only two years ago, when he was named the NFL's Most Valuable Player after scoring a record 28 touchdowns and leading the NFL with 1,880 rushing yards, Alexander's production the past two seasons has been eroded by injuries and ineffectiveness.

Just like Watters before him. And Chris Warren before him. And Curt Warner before him.

The Seahawks and their leading rusher arriving at this keep-him/cut-him crossroads is not uncharted territory.

It's become a fact of life in this game -- especially for running backs. The human body can take only so much, and continue to deliver for only so long.

While Alexander turned 30 last August, Warner was 28 in his final season with the club, Warren 29 and Watters 32.

"At that position, you can't hide anything," is the way one league assistant coach put it. "If you get old, it goes away real fast. It's not like other positions. A runner who doesn't have it anymore has no place to hide."

From 2001-2005, Alexander averaged 367 touches for five seasons (rushing and receiving). The apex came in 2005, when he carried the ball 370 times and caught 15 passes.

In the past two seasons, when he missed the first games of his career because of injuries, Alexander's touches were down, and so was his productivity.

Just like Watters, Warren and Warner. Each produced his most productive season, only to follow it up with one (Watters), two (Warren) or three (Warner) seasons of diminishing returns that preceded their departure.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren came to Alexander's defense all season, and continued to do so last week during his season-ending news conference.

"Absolutely he is capable of -- maybe not getting the 1,800 yards he had in the great season in 2005 -- but being a very productive back," Holmgren said. "I believe he can."

Holmgren's support of a player who has done so much for this franchise seems justified, to a point. Alexander played with injuries all season. There was his left wrist, which he sprained in the season opener and then cracked when he fell on it in Week 3.

Alexander had surgery last week to repair the wrist. Holmgren has said that playing with a protective cast on the wrist affected Alexander's play more than anyone anticipated.

He also suffered a sprained left knee and ankle in Week 9, and the knee injury forced him to sit out three games.

His offensive line, meanwhile, did Alexander no favors. The Seahawks' season-long ineffectiveness in run blocking partially led to, and also magnified, Alexander's tentativeness.

"They have absolutely no running game, and their O-line is average to a little above average," one NFC scout said the week before the team's loss to the Green Bay Packers in the second round of the playoffs -- an assessment then supported by the Seahawks rushing for 28 yards on 18 carries in the loss at Lambeau Field.

But the same scout also pointed to another factor that links Alexander to Warner and Warren -- his extra-large contract. Alexander got a new eight-year, $62 million deal after the 2005 season. Warner and Warren also were rewarded after their best seasons, but were not around for the length of their contracts.

"A franchise back gets that big contract, and then he wants to make sure he's around to collect on it," former Seahawks coach Chuck Knox once said. "So instead of just hitting the hole, they're looking around to see if they're going to get hit.

"It's human nature. But it changes them, and the way they play the game."

As the NFC scout said, "Shaun got nicked, he got the new contract and he's not the same back -- not even close."

Another scout wasn't even that diplomatic, simply offering, "He's done."

It is against this backdrop of increasing age and injuries -- as well as diminishing productivity -- that the Seahawks must decide what to do with Alexander.

There are the obvious financial ramifications, because of the $11.5 million signing bonus that was attached to his new deal.

If Alexander is on the roster for the 2008 season, he will count $6.775 million against the salary cap. If he is released before June 1, the cap hit is $6.9 million. But if released after June 1, the hit is spread over two years -- $2.3 million this year, $4.6 million in 2009.

There also is the issue of chemistry. Teammates used to consider Alexander a "me" player in an "us" game. This was never more apparent than when he scored his record-breaking 28th touchdown in the '05 regular-season finale against the Packers in Green Bay. Rather than being mobbed by teammates in the end zone, Alexander was a solitary man as he pointed to the heavens.

Flash forward to the '07 regular-season home finale. After Alexander took a screen pass and weaved his way 14 yards for a score against the Ravens, well-wishing teammates engulfed him as he crossed the goal line.

Also viewed as signs of maturity have been Alexander embracing Holmgren's decision at midseason to veer away from the running game and return to his pass-first-and-foremost roots, and the way Alexander accepted the job-sharing approach with backup Maurice Morris down the stretch.

The other players even came to his defense when fans began venting their frustration at Alexander -- the player Holmgren labeled the "lightning rod" for the season-long problems with the running game.

"A player who's done what Shaun has for this franchise and they're booing him -- at home," Pro Bowl linebacker Julian Peterson said. "That's just not right."

So what is the right thing to do with Alexander?

Even if the club decides to go with him for another season, it needs to address the running back position in the draft. Just like the Seahawks did when they selected Alexander, but already had Watters.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Much agreed Sport! Alexander must go!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Shaun Alexander will be back. You guys that love Holmgren so much
better hope that he really will be better. If by some miricle he doesn't
get hurt in the first few games. Holmie loves him some Shaun. :)

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would think all Seahawks fans would want Shaun to do better considering the financial commitment the franchise has made to him.. It would be beneficial for the organization to get some productivity out of him since he will leave with a pocketful of cash either way. It will cost 7 mill. to make him just go away, plus you would be paying for his replacement, especially if it is an expensive free agent.. No team is able to sign all the free agents they want to, eventually you have to make choices. Everyone says The Hawks are okay on cap room , does that mean they can sign Trufant, Locklear, Womack, Josh Brown, DJ Hackett, Alan Faneca, Niko, Bentley, Chuck Darby, a big play tight end, a monster run stuffing DT and a free agent running back like Chester Taylor or Michael Turner.. If you just cut Shaun do you like a Mo Morris- Leonard Weaver duo to be your starters??? If not them, who??

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Iceshark said:
powder said:
::waits for Iceshark's response::
What response. I was right on! I said he would be gone or back for a final season. And he is back for one final season. Then Mora takes over. JUST LIKE THE REPORTS SAID!

The Hawks only have to put up for the loser one more year! Then its asta la vista!

GO MORA!
Dude, you live in a friggin' dreamworld!!!! I'm not exatly sure how you think you were "right on"? Here a few of your posts I cut and pasted from other threads...Not really seeing how you were "right on" or even close.

All I have to say is that if you ever do any predicting when I go fishing, I hope you and your "sources" predict that I will get skunked. That may be about the only real way to guarantee that a guy can catch fish!!!

Anyhow, here are the posts for all to enjoy...

by Iceshark on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:19 am
He's a great coach. No argument. But he is done here. Time for him to move on. Dont fool yourself. Mora did not go accross country, interview and stay overnight at Snyders home just to pull out.

He has been told the team is his. If not NOW then next year.

THANK GOODNESS!

by Iceshark on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:52 am
DBAppraiser wrote:Ice, you are suffering from BBQ sauce toxic shock syndrome. If Holmgren asks Paul Allen for an extension, I would be willing to bet that Allen would give it to him. What is too bad is that Hudson Houck, the O line coach chose to go to Dallas over Seattle. Look for Seattle and Mike Holmgren to explore the possibility of hiring a new O line coach to improve the line play.

Not from all I am reading and hearing on Fox and ESPN. They say that Holmgren is very close to exiting the coaching areana. He is supposedly not wanting to be not proffesional and is waiting to make decision till after the super bowl. That very cool of him. They are split on thinking he may be done now or wants one more year. They said the ownership in Seattle is open to giving him one more year but is getting frustrated with him.

Come on now, your a good football guy. Sorry but Mora did not back out of a head coaching job at the last minute just because he likes him some Seattle living.

Its all but done for Holmbren and I like lots of others here say THANK GOODNESS

by Iceshark on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:44 pm
DBAppraiser wrote:Also Mike Kahn who covers the team has reported that the decision will come probably Thursday or Friday of this week. I think Holmgren sees this team as being very close to another Super Bowl. As things laid out, they were a snow storm away from playing today and if they were playing today at home against the Giants they would be a 7 point favorite to go to the Superbowl.

The team is not close to a super bowl. He wants a Parcells type job as a VP of operations. He is a control freak and you watch. HE IS GONE! YESSSSSSSSS!

Lets be real First off the Seahawks won the weakest division in football. This was not big feat. The hawks played great at times and very poor at times against easy opponents. I really was impressed with the last few games but I would not say even the hawks themselfs would be banging there own super bowl drum if asked after this season. They are a very good team. But like the sportswritters said. They easily beat another mediocre playoff team in the wild card game and then got to the real playoffs and got it handed to them.

I think the coach called a bad game. Plus lacks empowerment and drive like the other playoff caliber coaches show. He used to have it and like mr Big tuna has lost it at a coaching level. Let him go be a VP somewhere. Then the hawks will grow. If he stays the team can only go backwards with him. Hes done!

by Iceshark on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 pm
Face it, Holmgrens done~! You will see his announcement soon.

by Iceshark on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:44 pm
Duroboat wrote:
Iceshark wrote:Face it, Holmgrens done~! You will see his announcement soon.

Ice I think your just hoping Holmgren will leave Seattle. So he will be free to be snatched up by your beloved 49er's. The 49er's suck so bad they could use Holmgren to get them winning again.

God I wish! Told ya, I dont hate the man. Just think he is done here. And yes the Niners would love to have him. HECK YA! They do suck with there current baffoon.

by Iceshark on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:55 pm
What a great game! Proof that the Pack was NOT BACK as I said all year! Pretenders could not make it happen! Guess old man Farve wont get another bowl chance. Thats great by me! Never been a fan of his or the PACK

Makes you wonder. Giants with a good offense and defense playing with no secondary as all vets were out hurt, go into Packers country and lay the smack down on them. Theres some coaches with a great game plan! Hats off to them. Eli and company played a great game and shut up the cheese heads.

News to ya Green bay, Ya were'nt really that good this year anyway!

Giants played 3 road playoff games with drive and insperation! Now they will hopefully beat Brady and the pat's. Hope that defense plays like they did today.

After watching the pats the last 2 weeks I am convinced they will lay an egg soon. Hopefully in 2 weeks.

Oh and DB, Did you hear the pregame show saying exactly what I said about holmgren walking away and the team not wanting to give him an extention. Best news for the team this week!

GO GIANTS!

Well Ice, after reading that I agree with DB. You are suffering from BBQ sauce toxic shock. Shouldn't you be yelling at someone for watching Comcast about now?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts