Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the Green today since I finally had time. My wife is visiting her Mom and Brother in AZ. By the way it is 68 degrees in Sun City today.
Since I'm bache'in it I thought what better time to take advantage of the situation than now. Woke up late 7:30, like I said I'm the LORD OF THE HOUSE and I'll sleep as long as I like. After driving on Green Valley Rd doing some looking, and scouting I settled on the Car body hole.
Now I am a noob at Steelies as well as bobber and jig, or eggs. Ive been strictly a drifter till I got entangled on this site.
My first instinct was to drift. Which is what I did and proceeded to break off twice in a row. Since I brought two rods with me I rigged up for bobber fishing. I thawed some cured eggs, saved in the refer for just such an ocassion (Thanks HOOK and RED) the cure recipes are great.
There were a few folks out at that time but not too many, I think the Seahawks game kept them home.
Water was clear and down low, had a few bobber downs but I,m still slow on the draw. If there are some that are good at this style of fishing and wouldn't mind teaching a old dog that needs to learn new tricks, please P.M. me.

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
When thinking about take downs, you have to consider that maybe you were momentarily hitting bottom. Car body is a hole that looks deceivingly deep from shore. There is a bar that goes right down the middle of the river there. If you had more than two feet of leader to your jig, you could have easiliy been tapping bottom, which makes your bobber go down for a split second. You will notice that the bobber will kind of "drag" down when you are on bottom. Your bobber will tip downstream and than go under. Sound familiar? In this case, just lifte the rod up to free the bobber if you are in shallow water. If you know that you are in deeper water than your jig is set for, you can give the bobber a sweep. Not a hook set, but a freeing tug, if the bobber stays stuck, set it. It might be a fish. A typical take down is a sudden dip, no tip tip, drag, its like boom, straight down. You will know if that happens.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see the bar that your talking about. It split the middle of the river closer to shore that farther. I originally tossed out beyond the bar when I should have kept it close, then moved outwards from there. It was like your sayin probably a hang up on a rock or branch that was submerged. Im still having fun trying this way so I cant say I,m gonna quit it but I am saying that I need some more river time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts