Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Floated High Bridge to Sultan yesterday. Ran the full gamut of winter steelheading conditions... snowing, raining, windy, freezing rain, partially sunny, full on sunny and even a pitch black wall of death cloud that let us know it was time to get off the water. The water visibility was unlimited and low (I didn't think I'd be throwing the summer weight stuff at the beginning of January). Pressure was low, I think we were one of maybe three boats on the water and only ran into about six other guys on the water. The fishing, well it stunk. I went 1 for 1 on a tiny summer run nate (maybe 5 pounds) in full spawning regalia. Edit: 'twas a late Coho not a Steelie: I had no idea those little monkeys were still around, thanks for the ID help guys! Tup: Hit it on a pink and white jig, got a quick shot of the head and uncorked it. My oar-monkey finished the day with an 0-fer which was odd, because normally he's money (he's been fishing the place since the dawn of time). Which leads me to believe that some guys must have had a great weekend because the fish just weren't there. The eagles were though. Probably the most I've ever seen on the Sky at one time (I don't know if that means there isn't enough for them to eat on the Skagit/Sauk). For those of you who haven't floated it since the high water, there's a sweeper all the way across the left channel below Ole's Hole, so take the middle line. We also stuck to the right by the wing walls before the mouth of the Wallace and unfortunately smacked bottom right by a guy trying to fly fish (sorry dude) and probably shut down any fish in his area. The middle line would be your best bet here too. So, that's it... slow day, but nice to be back out. On a bright note, I started tying my own jigs while hanging around waiting for my son to be born and one of those jigs did the trick for me. Good luck all, T

Attachments

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Don't feel too bad Cru... my buds and I did that float Sunday and caught the big skunk... 0 fer 0. We had a smorgasboard of weather too... but at least the evil east wind wasn't blowin 60 mph like it was New Year's Day!

I thought the vis was more like 3 ft. due to the weeping clay slides. That sweeper happened on New Year's day. Left side comin' in to the fingers above the Wallace flats is the best route.

Edit: I was thinkin' the same thing Diz... looks like a coho to me. We saw a bunch of spawning chum still in the river too.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Beautiful day. Tup:

The snout on your summer-run sure looks like a coho to me. There's still plenty of late-run coho in the Sky system right now. Tough to tell from that pic though.

Too bad the fish weren't more cooperative.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The snout on your summer-run sure looks like a coho to me.

You know Dizane, I'm more inclined to side with you on that. My pal swore it was steel (of course he's old and blind, which is why I pushed us off the rocks twice that day) and he knows more than I do. I'd never seen that much red down the bottom flank, nor that large of a kype on a steelie before, but once I saw the adipose I didn't spend to much time screwing around looking at it.

Webo, the vis was gin clear above the clay banks, down below not so much. There's so much more exposed clay now, just one more thing to choke off the river. Best of luck next time. T

·
Banned
733 Posts
Fishing on the sky for me these past two days have been waaaaaaaaay toooo slowwww. I have even made the trip to rieter to try my luck up there today and nothing! I have covered what feels like miles upon miles of river with only one fish to show :( I dont think that fishing is going to be any good on the upper sky tell we get some more water flowing thru there. It was so slow it started making me think about my steelhead catching ability ha ha ha. But this post boosted my moral up a bit Tup:
Omar

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
this section was one of my favorite floats, but low water makes it an experience for a DB. Always challenging if the CFS was 300' less than it is now. Used to have to get out of the DB and push over riffles. Nice pictures anyways.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Those are some great pics, the steel are in there, its just that Mayfly has almost caught them all :lol: JK, great report and pics Tup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts