Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Ande 10# for boondoggin Steelhead but am getting kind of tired of changing it every couple of trips. It does not hold up well and gets brittle.
I would like to hear what some of you guys are using for this type of fishing.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I go with the Hi vis green Triline, I find that Izor and some others have way too much memory for me, I like a limp line for boondogging

·
Registered
342 Posts
The sufix seige has very little memory. When it's really cold out it'll tend to be a little springy. I've never been a Trilene fan, but it's been years since I've used it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've switched to Maxima Hi-Viz (fluoresent green) recently as a test (usually use Izor) and it's been pretty good so far. I'm a believer in Maxima UG so I had to give their Hi-Viz a shot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
VIPERMAN
I have guided on the Cowlitz for 10 years know I tried most of the lines IMO stick with the IZOR has held up better than any other line I have tried. Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
HickvilleFF said:
i didnt think I could catch fish unless I used izor high viz greenish/flourescent.......
Here I fixed it for ya :lol: , gotta give a guy crap sometimes Tup:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I`ll agree with Fishhead 5 on this one. I used Izor hi-vis for 4 years. Now I use Sufix seige tangerine, and Sufix Performance braid.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
GURU said:
HickvilleFF said:
i didnt think I could catch fish unless I used izor high viz greenish/flourescent.......
Here I fixed it for ya :lol: , gotta give a guy crap sometimes Tup:
:p:p:p i never have used hi viz, but it makes me laugh when i see people who do, old farts :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
You'll never guess who makes Izor line.

I think if you compair Izor and Sufix superior you'll find they're just about the same.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
I've been using Suffix Tangerine and I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Depending on your rod quality and lead situation you can get away with 14lb fire line hi Vis, 6lb mono diam- and cuts through the water nice. I use 2 shot slinkys when I am spooled with this stuff. Pencil lead is makes the ticks WAY too sensitive causing a LOT of premature swings. You can use the Fire line on a cheap okuma celilo rod and the sensitivity is very good! I have not lost a terminal rigging yet with the fire line, just the hooks on snags.

10lb Mustad Ultra line HI Vis is the best I have found and it comes in 1500yd spools and is cheap, but mono is Mono and am on my 3rd reel spooling since November.

Half of my Side drifters are 14lb fire line Hi Vis 1/2 are 10lb mustad Ultra line.

The Fire line is a must for getting down in the deep holes fast and with tiny slinkys Some spots I fish are over 12' deep and those fish hang right on bottom and the baits need to get there quick.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
i recently switched from hi-vis 10lb stren to hi-vis 14lb fire line. the fire line is by far easier to cast and has no memory.and the good thing about the fire line is it dont stretch. so when your gear is stuck in a tree and you go to pull it free it doesnt make a b-line for you. i've got battle scars on my boat and outboard that can attest to the fact that when you pull on mono to free it and it comes free the end result is usually not good. the words "hit the deck" ring out loudly when that happens. i use pencil lead with it also and it does take getting used to the "new" feel it has.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh man I took a 4 .250 shot shrinky to the wrist when I hooked a high branch on a tree.. Stretch, stretch snap! Dropped me to the bottom of the boat..

Doesn't happen with Fire line!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts