Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 8 packages of hevi-beads to try for Steelhead fishing. Anyone out there had any success with these? I'm fishing the Skookumchuck again this weekend and so far in five trips this year I've had one bobber down that snapped the jig off my line after a few head shakes and jumps. I need any and all help I can get to put the Steelhead in the freezer. I went to Iwajumayi store in Seattle last week and bought a few pounds of Steelhead for $5.99 a pound and smoked that up. My god are those fish delicious.

Tightlines,
Paul

·
Registered
600 Posts
dark red beads pegged about an 3/4 inch above a number 4 hook seems to work well on the Chuck. But you will catch many more white fish with this method then steel. Dont give up on your jigs, they have been productive for me down there. darks with a shrimp tail

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just watched the whole video...very interesting product. Still not sure i understand completely though, does the hevi bead act like a splitshot too? Does it still get the good same natural drift?

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
Don't miss out here on small streams.....use a Blue Fox spinner if other methods fail.....Lots of times non biters will tear a spinner apart. Homemade spinners are easy to make and cheap compared to store bought and there are lots of blade colors to choose from.....RJ out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Beads work...period. I must say that I completely feels the "system" is WAY too elaborate and the technique is much more simple than hevi-beads would like you to think. Anyway, this whole "bead" thing will be in the front of most fishermen's mind in the years to come. Get a bobber and 2 to 5' leader depending on the water depth. Take a toothpick and peg a bead about 2" above a #4 hook. Use 1 or 2 (or 3) splitshot to keep the bead down. The thing to think of is this... Fish don't eat "globs" of eggs. Yes, they WILL eat them, but naturally spawned out eggs don't float down the river in "cured" globs. Let's not start an egg argument as I LOVE eggs, I use eggs, and I always will...BUT...what we're doing here is imitating a naturally spawned out egg as it would float down the river. In this case, "one" egg, or bead, is what is needed, and you ideally would like it look like what's in the river. The skook has a bunch of silver spawners. What do their eggs look? If you can duplicate that, I would highly suspect you would out fish any jig, you just have to do it right.

Picture this... 2 fish are hunkered down in a hole. Jigs are flying by, fisherman are all over the banks like fleas on a hound, and bobbers are slapping the water like mad. In the middle of the chaos one lone, perfectly natural little egg is swirling downstream in the direct path of Mr. Head, who is peacefully laying low, and is very thankful to see something he can relate to. Gulp.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I heard from a repeutable source that the beads work , As for the Skook , I have caught a fish or two , Then got skunked 4 times , Other people are more successful than me on the skook

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies helps alot.
floattheboat100 said:
Beads work...period. I must say that I completely feels the "system" is WAY too elaborate and the technique is much more simple than hevi-beads would like you to think. Anyway, this whole "bead" thing will be in the front of most fishermen's mind in the years to come. Get a bobber and 2 to 5' leader depending on the water depth. Take a toothpick and peg a bead about 2" above a #4 hook. Use 1 or 2 (or 3) splitshot to keep the bead down. The thing to think of is this... Fish don't eat "globs" of eggs. Yes, they WILL eat them, but naturally spawned out eggs don't float down the river in "cured" globs. Let's not start an egg argument as I LOVE eggs, I use eggs, and I always will...BUT...what we're doing here is imitating a naturally spawned out egg as it would float down the river. In this case, "one" egg, or bead, is what is needed, and you ideally would like it look like what's in the river. The skook has a bunch of silver spawners. What do their eggs look? If you can duplicate that, I would highly suspect you would out fish any jig, you just have to do it right.

Picture this... 2 fish are hunkered down in a hole. Jigs are flying by, fisherman are all over the banks like fleas on a hound, and bobbers are slapping the water like mad. In the middle of the chaos one lone, perfectly natural little egg is swirling downstream in the direct path of Mr. Head, who is peacefully laying low, and is very thankful to see something he can relate to. Gulp.
HAHAHA Awesome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hevi Beads are designed to replace the need for a split shot in many occasions, but like most times while fishing, not always. Let commonsense dictate the amount, if any, of weight you may have to apply based on current, depth, bottom contour, water clarity, etc. Our objective here is to get that bead to where the fish are and moving as near to a natural egg floating/tumbling down the stream as possible. However, getting the bead in front of or as close to the fish as possible is most critical. Tight Lines and Fish On!!! Dan Bair, Hevi Beads by Xstream Fishing. Hevibeads.com

I just watched the whole video...very interesting product. Still not sure i understand completely though, does the hevi bead act like a splitshot too? Does it still get the good same natural drift?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts