Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a Lamiglas rod that I can't find out any information on.

It is a G 1000 series rod with the model number GS 6 L.
Labeling says 6 feet long 2 1/2 oz * Line Wt 10 to 15 lbs* Lure Wt 1/4 to 5/8 oz
Rigged in a spinning configuration with large eyes.

Weird thing is the handle is wrapped in what I assume to be graphite as it says "Graphite Handle"
Which is a little odd considering there is cork under it.....

BUT it has no reel seat. I was guessing that it may be a weird spin/fly combo.
It seems to be a lightweight rod (It may only weigh the 2.5 oz they advertise) and perhaps they were shaving all the weight they could off the rod. So am I missing some rare reel attachment piece? Am I going to have to pay $$$ on e-bay for a reel seat that is no longer made? Or do I have to come up with some "backwoods engineering"?

Forgive the human foot in the picture. I was trying to get the label on the handle but the glare makes the label unreadable.

Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
Re: Help me ID this odd Lamiglass rod

Dont know when it was made. I would guess it was an early model rod but there are many on this site that could tell you

more than I could with their eyes closed. Tup:

IMO, Looks like a Bass rod designed for heavy cover/structure used to HORSE them out of weeds, and reeds.

P.S. your feet stink.... sick:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help me ID this odd Lamiglass rod

FLOUNDER1 said:
IMO, Looks like a Bass rod designed for heavy cover/structure used to HORSE them out of weeds, and reeds.

P.S. your feet stink.... sick:
Is there any other method for fishing for bass???? I also like to use eye crossing hooksets with 50# braided line wink: ...

LMAO... here I was worried that somebody would get mad that I stepped on a rod.... I forgot the smell-a-vision feature on my graphics card....

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
An uneducated, but as good a guess as any, having a couple dozen lamis, is that it is a GS (Graphite Spinning) 6', light action G1000 blank with a seatless graphite composite handle that is optional on some older G1000's. Maybe for a short range surfcasting spey type reel or other knucklebuster with the wingnut attachments on the reel itself. I'd slap a cheap Penn on it with the wingnuts and use it for a Herring rod out in the sound. The little buggers are hard to find right now but come August it saves a few bucks a trip to get my own. Zip ties and duct tape are always an option in my backwoods hillbilly engineering toolbox...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Now I feel old.

My dad bought one of the very first graphite rods available called HMC or something. It had a cork handle, but no reel seats either. Me - Dad how are you going to attach a reel. Dad - electrical tape. He was an IBEW worker. We used the rod forever with the tape and had no problems. Just tape the reel at a place where it's balanced .

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
that's what's called a "tenessee sensor" grip. similar to a regular tennesse handle(one-piece cork with or without slip rings), but made with a graphite barrel.

you would tape the reel foot on that particular rod, those types are popular with some bass fishermen as it lets them customize exactly where they can mount their reel at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts