Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a handheld GPS unit to serve as a secondary/back-up to my main GPS on my boat. I would bring it on heavy fog days and in waters I'm not so familiar with...like on long trips. I'd also like to use this unit hiking and in car situations where GPS could be handy. I have a Lowarance unit in my boat. Any of you have any good or bad experiences with handheld GPS units? I like Garmin for this application.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've got an older Garmin 72 hand held. No map feature. I have used it quite a bit the last 5 years or so, and fished quite a bit in the fog and it has always worked great.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would recommend a backup of the same brand as the main unit. They will have similar pages and displays and be similar to operate. Plus if they have removeable map and data storage cards, your backup will have more capabilities.

I have a LCX 26CHD for my main, and a H2O for the backup. I also have a SD map card that could be moved to my H2O when needed, and I keep my routes and waypoints syncronized with a SD data card. If I am recording a trip to the data card when main unit fails, I could even import the trip data to the handheld.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point HB. I'll be out "looking" tomorrow. Gadgets are fun!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I also have a lowrance handheld. I have the Expedition color unit. I chose it because it accepts the same mapping chip as the lowrance units. I can also use it in my truck on a trip if I'm going somewhere I don't know. Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
32,972 Posts
The Garmin legend is a nice unit. I have had mine for years and it still works fine. The only problem I ever had was with the optional power cord. The cord doesnt lock in real well (by design) and the unit would shut off sometimes if the cord got giggled around to much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Garmin 76 color seriesfor me. Got a chip from Seattle to Port Hardy. I have a Furuno NavNet system on the boat - but also use my handheld as a GPS antenna for my laptop (with nav. software)- when I leave the San Juans.

Redundency is good!

Jay

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Have owned my Ifinder Expedition C for almost two years. It's been soaked in the rain in drift boats, dropped on the deck in ocean boats, and still works flawlessly. Satellite signal works very well in heavy timber, RVs, and in aluminum houses in boats. Compatible with Navionics and lowrance's own software (via an SD slot), so it has suits my needs very well. Like Duro, the only problem Ive had was with the 12 volt adapter. Very happy with mine overall.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have had the magellan (i think) E Trex. It has worked flawlessly for years. I even have the charts for Puget Sound. It is a great backup.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the Garmin e-trex legend and just love it. I use it for hunting mainly. It's small enough to fit in your pocket and big enough to easily use. Tup: Tup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
etrex Vista or Legend HCx... both are great units... i like the vista because it has the altimeter for when i go hiking.... plus you can see if the barometric pressure is changing meaning weather change etc.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would vote for the GPSMap 60 CSX. I like the button setup on this model better than the etrex line. Fits my hand better too. I used to do a lot of geocaching and the 60 CSX is pretty much the crowd favorite. Good for hiking and in the car. I use mine as a backup on the boat - works great for that too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had the Magellan Marine Handheld for five years now. Use it mostly in the boat. No problems at all. Came pre-loaded with road maps and marine markers. Works great for finding crab pots in choppy seas. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the new models out there.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Another vote for the Ifinder H20. Its great, and takees the same Navionics card as my LMS-527 Lowrance head unit.
Similar menu's as well..

The H20 Is waterproof, and stays locked to sat's real well...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I decided on the iFinder H2O Tup: . Also getting a land topo card to use out in the wilderness. Thanks for your input clap: .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts