Handgun suggestions | Gamefishin.com

Handgun suggestions

Discussion in 'Guns.....Guns.....Guns...Things that go BOOM' started by Codfather, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Codfather

Codfather Active Member

I'm looking at getting a handgun and was looking for suggestions....not looking to break the bank and later on may carry concealed.It is for self protection.Thank you for any help.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. oregondragonfly

oregondragonfly Member

my advice you can take what it is worth. if you haven't been trained and are not willing to take another persons life I would not get a hand gun or carry. studies show most people that are in a life or death situation hesitate and are killed with there own gun. so this is a serious consideration. my wife and I have a Remington 14'' barrel police folding stock 12 ga. we have at home and carry in the camper when camping. although my wife can't hit the side of the barn with a pistol she just has to be close with dbl ''o'' buck and just the noise of racking in a shell is enough to send chills down any ones spine plus it is very intimidating looking over a hand gun. and an invasion or some other life threating situation would be the only time I would even pull it out because of all the laws that stop you from protecting you and your family. like I said these are my thoughts dfly

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slammin8er

Slammin8er Member

The Marksman on Canyon road in Puyallup offers free gun rental every Wednesday.
    Myself I prefer my Smith and Wesson MP 357 magnum hammerless revolver.

Its all about the energy if you have to use it.

Cartridge Type Muzzle Energy In Foot-Pounds

32 ACP Hyd-shok 123
    9 mm Luger 350
    .380 Auto 188
    .357 Sig 475
    .357 Mag 550
    .38 Special 310
    .40 S&W 425
    .44 Mag 1,000
    .45 GAP 400
    .45 ACP 400
    .45 Colt 370
    .454 Casull 1,900
    .460 SW 2,400
    .50 AE 1,500
    .500 SW 2,600

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Codfather

Codfather Active Member

I've owned handguns before (over 20 yrs. ago) and I have a shotgun, I just don't know about all the new stuff out there...and I don't have a problem keeping and protecting whats mine...so to speak.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. gmanhawaii

gmanhawaii Member

Walther PPS or Springfield SD both are single stack magazine and easy to carry. Before you carry learn to shoot it well and definitely take some classes.

6. Mr56Jeep

Mr56Jeep Active Member

Lots of good stuff available these days. xD and the M&Ps are affordable and reliable.

Lots to choose from though.

7. gmanhawaii

gmanhawaii Member

Like your avatar, GSP?

8. Mr56Jeep

Mr56Jeep Active Member

Yes sir... And back at ya. :)

9. Jiggin.Deep

Jiggin.Deep Active Member

My vote would be anything but a glock... lol no I carry an hk usp for work... spendy ... but if my life is on the line I gotta trust it and my skills with it.... my advice cod is to go to a range that has a bunch of different guns and try all of the ones you might like in 9mm .. then bump up to a .40 ... and if going towards .45 my vote would be a full size frame gun or a 1911 platform ... springfield makes some nice affordable 1911s... if I were headed towards revolvers it would have to be a smith and wesson ... probably a 686 in 2 1/2" or 4... each person is different .. carry and shoot what your comfortable with

10. 411

411 Well-Known Member

Glock 23, I used to hate Glocks until I carried one to work everyday for 10 years.

11. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

Codfather, not trying to be a smart arse here but that is a really broad question. If you live in Tacoma/Puyallup area take the range course and fire a few firearms @ the Marksman as Slam has suggested. A firearm is a big investment. Shoot right & buy right, you'll be a lot happier.

12. Dimples

Dimples Well-Known Member

When I want to conceal and carry, I choose my Para Ordinance compact 45. It is small enough to fit in your back pocket AND has TEN rounds. It is a dream to shoot. Very well built and tight.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. havinfun

havinfun Member

I pack a 380, [ like James Bond ] . When I worked at the federal building in Seattle I was around a lot of different law inforcement people and they all said that if I was in trouble and needed to pull my weapon I had to shoot until my clip was empty and say that he/they had me scared for my life, and not to pull it out if I wasn't going to shoot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. havinfun

havinfun Member

Someone [no names] didn't like my post. Why do you pack a concealed weapon if not to save your life or the life of someone that you love? If you pull it and don't use it they will take it away from you and use it on you.

15. gear addict

gear addict Well-Known Member

You could do a search cod, and find more info than you can read. I'd go shoot a few, and see what feels good to ya. Like already stated ther are a few indoor ranges that have good selections of handguns to shoot. These days if I carry. It's a Glock 17, or a airlite. The options are endless. One of the hammerless Smith airlites would be something to consider. Carrying a handgun takes some getting use to. If its not light, and comfortable to carry you may not want to carry it. Then you have to like shooting what you like to carry. Lots of folks get a small little carry gun then don't shoot it much. I know a few guys like that. We will go to the range, and they will bring their 45's,m&p's, xd's, glocks, wheelguns etc, and leave the airlites and small auto's in the range bag, or just shoot it a few times. I'm not sure what your budget is, but 5 to 600 bucks will get you a reliable handgun. Some will argue that you need to spend a bunch of money if it's going to be something your life may depend on one day, but imho a good wheel gun, or glock, m&p, or xd should work just fine. Ya just have to see what your gonna like.

On a side note. All the forums seem to be kinda quiet around here. I've been in Ak for 4 mo. Some of the same stuff is still up top. Anyway...have fun shoppin