Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked by the Seattle Boat Show to give three halibut seminars.
I am putting together a Power Point presentation for it to put on the screen. I will be covering both the ocean and the straits. Go to the seminars tab on http://www.seattleboatshow.com
Halibut fishing is fun, but the fish that come with fishing the ocean is what really adds to it. Big Lings, rockfish, Seabass or black rockfish, octopus, etc.

Times will be

Halibut Fishing Along the Washington Coast Ron Garner 1/27/2008 2:00:00 PM Fish
Halibut Fishing Along the Washington Coast Ron Garner 1/26/2008 1:00:00 PM Fish
Halibut Fishing Along the Washington Coast Ron Garner 1/31/2008 4:00:00 PM Fish

I will be covering the Strait of Juan de Fuca too, as I consider it a harder fishery. We have had fantastic resullts in the straits. We do fish it different.

[imghttp://psasnoking.com/portals/0/NtForums_Attach/25195118109.jpg][/img]

Sorry Slabquest, coundn't resist

·
Administrator
13,968 Posts
Nice, I'm going to definatly try and attend Ron.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dr Hook. Hope to see you there.

Ron

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Man, I sure would like to attend one. Especially for Butts out of Westport or Ilwacco..

But Im hitting the Show Thursday only... :cry:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. One of my buddies was ribbing me telling me he wanted my autograph. I offered to sign a halibut head for him. This should be a lot of fun. Would not even want to be famous. I just enjoy fishing of every saltwater kind. I can't imagine doing anything as much fun. well one thing.........

Olybirds, How is the Suzuki interface working on the Lowrances? Any complications? I don't have mine finalized yet. I upgraded my Lowrance for the dual Suzukis. Sorry about being off subject.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I had a great time doing the halibut seminar. 50 minutes just wasn't enough time. Thanks to everyone that attended. I did one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Saturdays room was packed and had standing room only around the edges of the room. Ten minutes in on Sunday it was packed again. Looked like a lot less people at the boat show on Sunday though. I will be doing one on Thursday at the Seattle Boat Show again at 4:00. I have a Power Point presentation I put togetherIa lot of great compliments about the seminar afterwards from the folks and I will be doing one at our PSA Sno-King Chapter on April 10 and one for the Eastside PSA Chapter March 19. I will have a little more time to be in depth and have equipment on hand at these meetings.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I was at the Sunday seminar. Definately not enough time. I've only been halibut fishing for one season out of the ocean, and have only been on the straights a couple of times.

Most of what you do is about the same as what I've learned from the board and another couple of PSA seminars that I managed to get to. But, as always, you always re-affirm things you know, and then pick up a few things you didn't (the squid/herring trick, was neat).

I had two questions that I didn't want to ask as I know we were running out of time and Tom was standing there waiting to get set up.

1) When you rig that squid herring set up, is the trailing hook rigged through the top of the squid, or to you just leave the line and the hook exposed on the outside?

2) How do you transport all of your hailibut when out on the boat? For a 2 hour ride back to shore, plus time fishing for ling, I don't really know if its ok to just leave them sitting on the back deck. My fish boxes can hold long and skinny lings, but the odd shape of the halibut won't fit. Likewise, those little guys are slimy. They skid around the back deck and then you slide all over once it gets on your boots.

Again, thanks for the show. I may dedicate a couple of day trips out to the straights now that I know how to tackle it a little better. I also have that Fish 'N Chips data for my C-80, so I think I'm gonna have to load it up and do a little studying (especially S out of Lapush 600-750 ft wink: )

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tic Tac tug
1) When you rig that squid herring set up, is the trailing hook rigged through the top of the squid, or to you just leave the line and the hook exposed on the outside?
The top hook is through the top of the mantle. The trailing hook is through the section between mantle and the tentacles. One thing I failed to mention is that when a halibut rips the tentacles off and gets away. Change the squid as it doesn't go after it again.

2) How do you transport all of your hailibut when out on the boat? For a 2 hour ride back to shore, plus time fishing for ling, I don't really know if its ok to just leave them sitting on the back deck. My fish boxes can hold long and skinny lings, but the odd shape of the halibut won't fit. Likewise, those little guys are slimy. They skid around the back deck and then you slide all over once it gets on your boots.

Mine all fit in my fishwells. Last year when 5 of us went out of Lapush on my boat. We got a five nice halibut and lots of lings. One 65 pound halibut was left over and couldn'd fit in the fishwells. We wrapped it in a towel and poured water over the towel every so often. Seemed to work fine. My buddy had a touch of the flu but went with us anyway and slept on the way back. He laid down in the back of the boat to sleep on the way back. He was in one corner and the fish in the other. Take a look. Actually we could have gotten it in, but we got a 50 pound ling and packed it in ice by itself. It deserved it. it had a fishwell all to itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts