Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a 12 volt hair dryer to defog inside windows?

Just curious if it will work. I just installed a 12 volt socket. My small pilot house will get condensation build up on the inside windows, esp on those sept mornings at Sekiu.

It's always wiped off with a rag fine, but I figured a small hair dryer may work just as well.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
What about one of the small 12v heaters/fans that you can either set or mount on the dash?

Fire it up while getting ready to head out,so you're not standing there having to hold a hairdryer on the windows.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I installed one of these on my dash. They don't put out a ton of heat or move lots of air but they do clear the windshield. $25 at Boaters world. Don't leave them plugged in though as they have a small red light that stays on and it will drain the battery over time. I'm pretty sure these draw less power then a 12v hair dryer though. This worked really well at Sekiu last fall.

Marine Pro Ceramic Heater/Defroster 12 Volt

Attachments

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I use a 12VDC hairdryer in my boat to defog the windows and it works great. It's also useful when your sidecurtain get a little older and shrink up a little so they don't line up with the snaps, a little heat from the hairdryer let's them stretch to fit again nicely. I think I got my hair dryer down at Camper's World(?) in Fife, on the other side of the freeway from Sportco.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the marine heater at boaters world, but the numbers on the back looked like it may take a while.

I wanted to be able to shoot air directly where I want it. Also I less likely to leave it on and forget about it.

Sounds like I'm on the right track. Maybe a trip to camping world is in order....

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
i picked up a 250 watt unit similar to the one in the picture at harbor freight

i havent used it yet,,,,dont know that i will either,,,,i value my batteries too much I guess,,,kinda scared to put too much of a draw on them

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I got one of the ones from boaters world. (two actually) and intended to wire them in and be done with it. But I was severely unimpressed. It took a long time to do any good. I have been keeping my eyes out for a hair dryer, and now I know where to look. With Mr. Heater in the front on the cold days that helps a lot, but some directional air would be great. I wish there were some better products out there for those of us with OB. Market nitch for someone who figures it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts