gun safe shopping | Page 2 | Gamefishin.com

gun safe shopping

Discussion in 'Guns.....Guns.....Guns...Things that go BOOM' started by fish vacuum, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Steve Ericsson

Steve Ericsson Well-Known Member

Nice, Duro! My only complaint is the cheap hardware on the shelves inside. The tracks are just stapled into the gypsum board. I need to beef it all up to hold full ammo cans stacked top to bottom.

2. Clockwork

Clockwork Well-Known Member

back when i was a mover we were moving a preacher off this very steep hill. my tweaker coworker puts the safe on a handtruck and goes to push it up the ramp to the truck (about 5 or 6' high). i say "you need help?" "Nope!" he says. he goes for it gets to the top, the safe tilts, falls off the truck and down the hill about 20 feet. it shatters and guns (mostly pistols) fly everywhere.

dont buy that safe, whatever it was. it literally shattered the corner right off.

preacher was cooler than i would have been.

3. johnguz76

johnguz76 Active Member

I will tell you dont waste you;r time getting a gun vault safe.They are crap.Their customer service sucks.I had a pistol safe for my glock and it holds just that pistol and one clip.It has the push button finger tip lock opening latch which they say on a good set of 8 duracell AA batteries should last 2 years before you have to change the batteries.I only got 2 months on a set of batteries.Called their service dept to see if the unit had a problem i just got the run around them saying i wasnt using fresh batteries. and not the duracells they recommend.BS they were fresh duracells.I tried 3 setsof duracells 2 months every time.I had to resort to using the key to get my gun out of there i was so fed up with it i just thru it in the trash and got a stack on pistol safe.If i needed my pistol at night i didnt want to have to go find my key to open it.I need it to open every time.I looked at reviews for gunvault after all this and everyone says their service sucks some have good luck some dont.I would not waste my money on one..Make a great boat anchor of you filled it with cement though..

4. madmike

madmike New Member

You have some good info in here, along with what you already know. Yes, bigger is better, the spaces fill up fast! You say that you want to store guns, documents and valuables, so you want something fireproof. (Misnomer, fire-retardant is a better word). Look for something heavy, has multiple locking bolts on all sides of door, a very tight fitting door to frame, inside concealed hinges, and a combination lock. Don't be fooled by some companies when they advertise a 3/8" thick door. The rest of the safe may only be 1/8" thick. Inside lights can be nice, but you can put these in later if you'd like. Also, adjustable shelving.
    My safe was made by Kodiak. (A bank vault mfg. in Ca.) It is 1000lbs, 1/4" steel all the way around, has a S&G II combo lock, all the above mentioned features, plus 4 bolt holes on floor and 2 on back of safe. It also has a small hole for the electrical cord. I paid $1000.00 for it years ago.
    Try to get the best you can afford. Remember that your looking for security and peace of mind. Also, if you get something this heavy, definitely support it from underneath your house. I have a story on that one! Good luck

5. MalcomWot

MalcomWot New Member

Hi there,

I'm new here so please don't mind if I ask stupid questions but I need your opinion.
    I'm in the market for a gun safe but I don't know which one to buy.
    I was searching and reading a lot of information but I still don't have my answer, I also found an article where they point out all the pros and cons of gun safes, But I think it's better to hear an opinion from someone who owns one.
    I hope you guys can help me.

Thank you

6. duckwacker

duckwacker Active Member

Top Poster Of Month

Liberty safe is one of the best.