gun safe shopping | Gamefishin.com

gun safe shopping

Discussion in 'Guns.....Guns.....Guns...Things that go BOOM' started by fish vacuum, Aug 4, 2011.

1. fish vacuum

fish vacuum Member

I'm looking for opinions on buying a new gun safe. I'd like any thoughts you have on where or what to buy. I already know it's one of those things where bigger is better and it's best to get one bigger than you think you need. I'm looking for something to store guns, documents, and valuables. Whatever I buy will be bolted down.
    Some of the big box stores like Lowe's and Costco seem to have better prices than the big sporting goods stores like cabela's or wholesale sports.

2. fishin musician

fishin musician Member

If you are looking to stop un-authorized access, Stack-on and GunVault are reasonably priced. If you want fire safety also you need to step up to a real safe. The good news is that what ever you get, you won't have to pay state sales tax on it...yet.

3. that_dude

that_dude New Member

Fort Knox Tup:

4. Cheez

Cheez Active Member

I bought a safe from these folks years ago, and have been very happy with it. I did not want one of the high gloss fancy safes, since it is bolted to the floor in a closet. But they have painted, insulated - whatever you want.

http://www.sturdysafe.com

5. Mr56Jeep

Mr56Jeep Active Member

Costco has some killer deals right now and they include shipping. Its worth a look.

6. Steve Ericsson

Steve Ericsson Well-Known Member

I look at the build quality. Are the hinges accessable so that they could be cut off or tampered with? Is the door heavy gauge steel? Do the locking bolts protrude on all four sides of the door, or just the front or front, top and bottom? Is the door gap minimal so that prybars can't be used? These are all things I considered for true theft prevention, if a thief gets in while I'm out of town, they will have time to work and I want it to be as difficult as possible.

7. that_dude

that_dude New Member

that equals Fort Knox Tup:

8. Steve Ericsson

Nah, just a good quality gun safe. Mine is also anchored to the garage floor with 6" bolts, and to the wall behind and to the side, no way to get a strap or cable around it to pull it with a truck. That plus the 600 pound weight of the safe, it ain't coming out!!! Seriously, with the crap that goes on these days, I wasn't going to skimp on my gun safe, too much stuff in there that bad people could do bad things with. The cheap $200 Stack-Ons just don't cut it in my opinion. Also, DON'T get one with a digital lock like Cabela's - all a thief needs is a digital lock of their own, unplug yours, plug his in and he's in - think about it! Combo is the only way to go. Have plans to build a steel reinforced concrete gun bunker under a closet one of these days.

9. that_dude

that_dude New Member

even if someone did take a Knox safe, they wouldnt be getting into it, unless you are a proffesional safe cracker, even then, it would be tough... and you sure as hell arent cutting into one, or prying your way into one either.. theres so many door pins on the Legend safes, you would die before you cut into one... the Titan is good too, heck, all Knox safes are good.. and probably the best in the business... if you are going to spend the money to guard everything, you need to do it right, and bone up...

Steve, the stack on safes are not that good imo as well... most of em only have a 3 pin door lock, not something i would rely on imo....

look at the Knox pins in this link, my brother owns one, my girlfriends dad owns one, my good friend owns one, we were going to go the route of Stack on, till we saw my brothers up close... now we are saving for the Knox, they cant be beat...

http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/safes/legend.htm

edit: you aint getting into them, and your things will be safer than any other safe Tup:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buR30A_0lk[/youtube]

10. Steve Ericsson

Yeah, easy to tell quality just by the weight of the door and the flimsiness. You want some weight in there, if you don't need a heavy duty safe dolly to move it, don't buy it!!

11. MudBug

MudBug New Member

I checked out the link, and those are definitely top quality safes. But to say someone isn't going to cut into one seems a bit hopeful, of course you won't cut through the door, the sides or back still seem cuttable being a total of 5/16 of an inch thick steel. Or am i just not seeing something that would prevent that.

12. that_dude

that_dude New Member

the part of getting it out of the house, and into something to haul it away without getting noticed wink: my brothers weighs something like 1200 pounds, the GFs dads, is larger... my friends, is the largest one they make holds like 65 guns, you aint taking it lol, thats for sure...

13. MudBug

MudBug New Member

I never said anything about taking it out just the weight alone would deter that. I was just wondering what was preventing it from being cut on the back or sides. And holy crap 1200 lbs! that must be a fun one to move.

14. that_dude

that_dude New Member

a good safe weighs 600+, and to keep from cutting it, frame it into a wall or corner, bolt it to the floor, and 99.9 percent of people that steal, wouldnt even mess with it... they may for a second, and then realize what they just got into... and will give up to go after something else.. which sucks as well... you can also buy the Vault Doors from Knox, and build your own concrete type safe/bunker, used to work with a guy that did just that, 6 people could go in there at once, probably 8X10X8
    he then had the door put on from Knox, you aint getting in there either, or stealing it... if 2 people can move it, you have problems... even if bolted to the floor, because bolts can be cut....

Liberty is another good company, but not near a Knox IMO...

15. Duroboat

Duroboat Moderator Staff Member

I am happy with my American Security safe. 14 1.25" bolts on all 4 sides of door, hinge's concealed, fire lined, and very heavy.
    My only complaint is it seems that every time I want a certain long gun it is the one in the back and you have to unload everything to get to it. :lol: