Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all the folks that put on the Derby today at Lake Stevens today.Awseome time on the water.Rough fishing but fun was had by all regardless.Threw the kitcken at them today and then some..Still no skunk on the boat.The Wounded Warriors were great we had a awseome day listening to their war stories.Had a female medivac pilot boy she had some stories to tell about flying over Bagdad at night getting shot at and having to pop flares.We also had a combat artillery guy too...Wow.And these guys were nice as heck too.The pilot even got some money from Big Daddy for the biggest Kokanee by a vet.Beautiful day to be out on the water.Hope we can do a Wounded Warrior thing again..Only problem is the darn releases wouldnt pop..Nice to see all the usual Gamefishers out there,some of you i hadnt seen in a while.....
Oh and Guru you da man congrats...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I AGREE, GREAT DERBY!!!

Got to put names to faces but did not get to meet as many GF's as I would have hoped.

We got blanked today for kokanee and were rather frustrated but once we went to the awards our attitudes turned around. Thanks to all the great people who worked very hard to organize this. Also, thanks to all the participants for the advice.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Thank you all for coming out to support this great event.

Thank you to all who helped get this done..........

A special thanks to Mark Spada and Dick Figgins........... clap:

It was tough fishing but it was still a blast.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Did I hear Team CHUCKARONI was representin' !!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hell Yea.................. nice job Guru, Epidemic and Mike.

Loved the text msgs today and Iceshark had me laughing good as well.

No surprise Big Dadddy, Dick Nite and others shared some amazing generosity. Just wished I could have been in it. Next year...

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
The only thing missing was our buddys Chuck and Keysrob. Not the same without them. Maybe next year Tup: First off thanks again to Greg and all the great people that worked and planned this derby. They said it was about same attendance as last year but still way off the first year. What a great sunny day on the water with my buddy Sixgill and all my GF friends.

While we went in with high expectations based on our hot fishing of late. The days of sun, boat noise, fish finders and such made it for a very tough day. We went about 4 for 9 and all but 1 were in early morning. Thanks to my buddy Guru for his constant help trying to put us on fish. Guru. Mike and Epidemic were one of only a few hot boats. Plus it was so cool to hear Guru thank me for my Lake Stevens Kokanee setup that he used to win the derby along with great skilled boat driving (and I mean it Tup: ) from Epidemic. Made me feel like part of his winning fish!

Hangin with Dick Figgins Nite, Big Daddy, Big Daddys son, Sixgill, F24 and others as we waited for prizes and just shot the breeze around the table in the park was fun and epic!

So we close another chapter on another fine day on the lake. Please give a heartfelt thanks to John for taking the veterans fishing. Tup:

Till then, See ya on the water.
Ice Tup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Derby conditions are always a little tough, a week ago we didn't have to go deeper then ten feet for limits. Today we had to go as deep as 60 feet to scratch out a few. It's not really to much of a surprise with a week of sunshine, and all the boat traffic. It was great to see everyone that turned out today. What a blast, tight lines everyone. :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a great time today. I took one of the wounded warriors out and he managed to catch two Kokes. The first one he caught was really neat; he had counted his line out and just as he was ready to put the DR clip on a fish hit. The second one he caught was down about 30' and when he got it in I thought this could be a wounded vet winner so I immediately took him to the weigh in and he got his name up with a 1.02# and we took a picture and he sent it off to his wife in Minnesota. Then when they all went to the weigh-in he got beat by a 1.03#. Still he was the only one out of the five that caught two fish. I really enjoyed today and would like to do it again. I hadn't planned on going to the derby but when I saw the request for seats to take someone I thought it was a great idea. I am really happy that I did and glad I was able to get him into some fish. I brought along some smoked salmon and he really liked it as he had never had it before, Luckily my wife packed enough for so he was able to take some back to base with him. If this opportunity comes up again for people to take a wounded vet fishing, I would stongly reccommend that anyone consider it. It was a woderfull experince for both the vet and me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wish I could have been there. Thank you to those who helped the wounded warriors. They deserve it, and much more. Tup: Tup:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have to agree - it was a Great Derby again!

It was fun sitting around talking before the awards. Finally got to put a face to Johnguz76 and a few others.

'Twas great - will have to do it again next year!

Dick

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
the derby was excellent as always.. I absolutely loved netting some gear from Dick when we spotted him :mrgreen: it was before we had caught any fish, so they were the first things we got to net. :lol: I wanted to say Thank you to Dick, and randy for putting these prizes out there.. but i will make another post about that :D

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
From now on I think I must BOW to Guru when he gets in my boat. Hat off and salute as the KING of Kokanee! Tup: Tup: Tup: Tup:

Team Chuckaroni scores another one! Even minus our fearless leader at this one!

Next stop on the Team Chuckaroni express........ BAKER SOCKEYE TILLA SLAM! Better then Dennys, ANYTIME wink:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey John,

I need to thank you and Tom Monroe for taking out wounded Veterans yesterday. THANK YOU!!!!! For those who didn't know, the three boats flying the American flag had wounded vets onboard.

I would also like to let everyone know that you can schedule a trip with as many wounded Vets as you can host anytime you want. Just let me know and I will arrange it. The Wounded Veterans Fishing Program is a non-profit 501(3)(c) organization sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. We can give you a receipt at the end of the year for expenses incurred taking out wounded Vets. A bit of lead time is usually needed to get a Vet to a fishing trip, usually a week to ten days will do (I know, a lifetime when trying to get some good weather). The WVFP is set up with the state to get free fishing licenses for the vets, so all they need is a seat, a pole, and maybe a sammich or two.

So, if you can give a Vet a seat and pole, consider taking out one or more of our troops. If you can't, consider giving to Wounded Veterans In Action. In talking to Mike at Ted's Sporting Goods I found that while the state will give the Vets free licenses, it won't donate any lodgings for them on a trip they have planned later in the year.

Thanx again John and Tom for having some wounded Vets on your boat (I know you had lunch for them also), and thank you John Koenig for working with Wounded Veterans In Action.

Anyone wanting to give a wounded Vet a seat on your boat and a pole to fish with can PM me here, or email me at: [email protected]

randy lee

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
johnguz76 said:
Thanks to all the folks that put on the Derby today at Lake Stevens today.Awseome time on the water.Rough fishing but fun was had by all regardless.Threw the kitcken at them today and then some..Still no skunk on the boat.The Wounded Warriors were great we had a awseome day listening to their war stories.Had a female medivac pilot boy she had some stories to tell about flying over Bagdad at night getting shot at and having to pop flares.We also had a combat artillery guy too...Wow.And these guys were nice as heck too.The pilot even got some money from Big Daddy for the biggest Kokanee by a vet.Beautiful day to be out on the water.Hope we can do a Wounded Warrior thing again..Only problem is the darn releases wouldnt pop..Nice to see all the usual Gamefishers out there,some of you i hadnt seen in a while.....
Oh and Guru you da man congrats...
clap: clap:

·
Registered
242 Posts
This was my first time fishing the derby and what a blast it was! Thank you to all that made it possible. It was pretty neat to see my name up on the leader board for a little while. Caught a lot of fish and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Could not have asked for anything more. Even won a sweet net for the efforts. Thanks guys will definitely be there next year!!! Tup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts