Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a very enjoyable day fishing American Lake with Hooksetter. Beautiful weather, good water, great selection of music, a fantastic boat and a very gracious host. Heck, it was a perfect day! Oh ya, we even caught some fish! clap: A BIG BIG Thank You to Hooksetter for taking me out and helping me get my first fish since coming back up from Tucson.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Glad you were able to make it out! It would have been an amazing day today!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Perry,

Thanx for making the day so enjoyable. I had a blast. Next time we'll break out the downriggers a little earlier.

Here's Perry (aka Bay Wolf) with one of the few fish we managed to boat today. Gonna have to make up some of those little hootchie thingies.

randy (aka HookSetter)

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm going to take my kids out there next weekend and give it a try. That was helpful seeing the mini-hootchie rig in the pic... thank you!

So, the rig everyone uses for them is a small dodger, pink mini-hootchie, and ??? Also, do I look for fish on the sounder and fish that deep or are you guys going to a specific depth?

Thanks! We haven't gone out since last fall... I'm anxious to put my girls onto some fish!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Oly,

The hootchie thingie was Perry's setup. Seemed to do better than my setup. The F24 team use something like it but with what looked like a colorado blade in front of it. They also use a dodger they called a "Bahama Mama", as opposed to what we were using.

When we got there first thing in the morning it was really foggy for about the first two hours. There were clouds of fish on the down fishfinder and the side fishfinder. After it cleared up there weren't clouds to the side anymore, but still clouds of fish below. There were still fish jumping all over, but we couldn't see the big schools to the side anymore. Depth varied. Most fish seemed to be caught north and west of the island.

We longlined without downriggers for most of the morning and Perry got a couple. Then we got another passenger and decided to see if the perch were getting active yet, They are not. Went back to kokanee and Perry started using the downrigger and managed several strikes but no hookups. Then had to leave to miss traffic between Tacoma and Lynnwood.

Next time will probably longline first thing until we don't see the big schools on the sidefinder and then move immediately to downrigger fishing.

Good luck and we'll see you on the water!

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Nice to see you caught your 1st fish since getting back here Tup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great info! Thank you!

Yeah, hopefully I'll make it out there next weekend. Still several things on my "to do" list before I get clearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts