Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my birthday, my wonderful wife Caryn booked a trip on the Cowlitz with Phil from Mystical Legends Guide Service. It was a beautiful day on the water, with lots of boats out in front of Blue Creek and quite a few bankies as well. I hadn't been to the Cowlitz in 15 years and it sure looked different. I guess because they changed the location upstream where the steelhead were released. All in all, the fishing was kind of slow but Phil worked hard to make sure we got into some fish. As all of you already know, Phil's da man!

On our first pass, fish on... and just as quickly fish off. I crackered my first try, it seemed like the fish wasn't on long and it came unbuttoned. :cry: I guess I wasn't game ready yet.

Later on, way upstream, we got into a beauty! A 7-lb buck that gave me a heck of a good fight for about 10 minutes, pulling us down river quite a bit.
[On Edit: Weighed the fish at home, gutted it was over 8 lbs so it was probably 9-10 lbs, not 7 lbs, not that I'm counting wink: ]

Here are the pics:

FISH ON!!!
After that fish, things didn't go as well. While heading downstream, I hooked into an old ugly coho boot. Obviously, we released that one.
Then, I hooked into another nice steelhead! Probably about 5 lbs, fought pretty hard but not as hard as the first. Got it to the boat then... it came unbuttoned. Crackered it :evil: at the boat. I really hate when that happens!!!

We ended up casting and drifting all the way downriver with a couple of hits but no hookups. FINAL SCORECARD, 1 for 3. Oh well, in baseball I'd be considered a star (.333 batting average Tup: ) Actually if you count the old boot, I went 2 for 4! Thanks to Phil for working so hard for getting those fish. clap: And as I told Phil, thanks for putting up with my wife and I. My wife wasn't that experienced but by the end of the day, she was casting like a pro. As for me, no excuses and I probably earned the trophy for Line Tangler of the day :oops: . Oh well...

The great thing about the trip was that of the one fish I got in the boat, it was a big, strong buck that gave me all the fight I could handle and I was able to get it in the boat with a little skill. The other good thing was that it was a beautiful day to spend for my birthday, fishing on the Cowlitz with my wife and Phil. I couldn't have asked for a better day!

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
"As for me, no excuses and I probably earned the trophy for Line Tangler of the day . Oh well..."

Don't feel too bad about that when we went to the Cow with Phil he was the king of casting into the tree's haha hey Phil "Look out for the tree's" :lol: NIce report and nice fish

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Great report and pics, good read Tup: clap:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Happy Birthday Peter. Thanks, it was very tough fishin but we couldn't have ask for a better day to be on the water. Hard to believe you can be on the Cowlitz with a hundred other boats and have miles and miles of river to yourself. Good times!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good job on the B-day chromage, looks and sounds like a great day. Nice going Phil getting the B-day boy a fish.. Tup:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Sounds like a good B-day to me, congrats Tup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
good work! nice pics also, i definitely enjoyed your report! Tup:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good Birthday trip it looks like....enjoyed your report-thanks for sharing

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
FishinFlip said:
Later on, way upstream, we got into a beauty! A 7-lb buck that gave me a heck of a good fight for about 10 minutes, pulling us down river quite a bit. Here are the pics:

I couldn't have asked for a better day!
WHAT!!! You caught a fish way upstream of the Hatchery Outflow...... Say it aint So!!!

Great report. And the plan of running way upstream was the right one, as I never saw a net fly after you guys took off upstream. And I only saw 3 fish caught all morning...

That was my first day on the Cow this year getting the big skunkola. I tried both from the boat and in my "honey Hole" and had only one takedown...

Just like always, Somehow Phil can smell those fish out, and get you into a couple no matter how tough the fishing is!!! Congrats!!

Now I just need to figure out how to get my wife to buy me a cool B-day present like that!!

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Great job on the fish!! Phil knows his stuff!! :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts