Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went and bought an Shimano Symetre 2500fi today to equip my new rod with. Anyone have one of these? Seems like a great reel. Sportco was sold out so i had to find it elsewhere. Must be a good reel cuz the guy behind the counter says they can't keep them in stock.

I also heard they were changing the design a little, and that some think their quality is suffering now that their reels are made in Malaysia. Thoughts on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,988 Posts
Re: Got a new reel today

Shimano's Malaysia-made reels have always been somewhat suspect in quality. Along with most other manufacturers's reels in those respective price ranges. Shimano's reputation for quality comes from their Japanese-made reels such as the Stradic and Curados and such. Although, most Symetre owners will tell you that they are good reels. With that in mind, Imo for the money, you made a good choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,273 Posts
Re: Got a new reel today

J.D. said:
Shimano's Malaysia-made reels have always been somewhat suspect in quality. Along with most other manufacturers's reels in those respective price ranges. Shimano's reputation for quality comes from their Japanese-made reels such as the Stradic and Curados and such. Although, most Symetre owners will tell you that they are good reels. With that in mind, Imo for the money, you made a good choice.
I agree.... Tup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know people who swear on those old Stradics. I have a new one, but they're made in Malaysia too. They don't put Fluidrive in them anymore either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,949 Posts
I have used this reel for 2 years and it still running strong. Great deal for the money......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
A good reel for sure. Nice choice Powder Tup:

IMO the Shimano lineup of spinning reels from the Sedona to the Symetre are comparable in quality. The Sedona is not as pretty as the Symetre, but you might save 30 or 40 bucks for basically the same quality reel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,952 Posts
I have a couple Shimano Symetere reels. I have had them for a few years and they have worked great for me.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,972 Posts
powder said:
Sportco was sold out so i had to find it elsewhere. Must be a good reel cuz the guy behind the counter says they can't keep them in stock.

Your right. Everytime I went to look for one of those reels it seemed they were either out of stock or didn't have the correct size. I ended up with a Quantum Catalyst CT20PTi and am pretty happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
i love mine...as mayfly said, we have been using them for a couple years and no problems. we have sure given those drags a workout too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Worm said:
powder said:
Sportco was sold out so i had to find it elsewhere. Must be a good reel cuz the guy behind the counter says they can't keep them in stock.

Your right. Everytime I went to look for one of those reels it seemed they were either out of stock or didn't have the correct size. I ended up with a Quantum Catalyst CT20PTi and am pretty happy with it.
He tried to talk me into a Daiwa. I'm not opposed to trying new reels but this time i wanted a Symetre. I'm a Shimano guy all the way cuz i've never had problems with the other 4 i have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
I have had two of them for three years with no problems. I just went out yesterday and bought four more. So you could say I believe for the money they are great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
powder said:
He tried to talk me into a Daiwa. I'm not opposed to trying new reels but this time i wanted a Symetre. I'm a Shimano guy all the way cuz i've never had problems with the other 4 i have.
I have always been torn between the Daiwa and Shimano Reels in the smaller sizes (~5000 and under) series. For surf/Halibut I go with Penn (rough but sturdy).

Anyway, I like the drags on Daiwa reels much better than Shimano reels, but by the same token Shimanos are smoother. If you pick up a $100 Daiwa and a $100 Shimano and crank them with no line, you will pick the Shimano. If you spool them with line and test the drag, you will pick the Daiwa. However, it doesn't mean that the Daiwa isn't smooth or the drag on a Shimano sucks. Just don't do it side by side and you will be impressed with either...

What keeps me in the Shimano camp more often is that Daiwa keeps renaming their reels, Capricorn, Sol, Exeler, etc... (they do it with their baitcasters too) Each year they come out with a new reel. I like my Daiwa Capricorn (I'd stack it against a Symetre), and three years later I want another one, you can't find one. Of course there is another $100 Daiwa reel, but it's name is totally different. So you really don't know what you are getting. Shimano on the other hand has had the Symetre and Stradic lines forever. I still have a FA Symetre (how I got hooked) and I have a FH and FI symetry too. Each is "better" than the previous one but at least I know I have an improved version of the same reel. I have a Stradic too but, although much better than a Symetre, I still think the Symetre is the best deal on the water as far as spinning reels go. I don't think the made in Malaysia or Japan matters much in that the made in Japan stuff costs so much more now. And even if my old Symetre was made in Japan, the improvements in the Malaysian models make up for it. Besides, I think my old Symetre was $70 in the 80's so that is like $200 today.

I own a wider range of baitcasters and yes, there are definite differences too. I can tell you that a $50 baitcaster is pretty good , a $100 baitcaster is better, a $250 is better yet, and a $350 is better still. Shimano and Daiwa give you good deals for the money at any price point. Just like the mid-level Japanese cars. Hondas and Toyotas cost a bit more but they are a known quantity. Camrys, Corollas, Civics, and Accords have been made for 20 years. Yes they were built in Japan at first, and then in the US. Quality has suffered a bit but it is still a good deal and buy the one that suits your budget and you will be happy just like the Symetre will make you happy Tup: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One of the things that sold me on the Symetre also was the higher crank ratio. I like the 6.2:1 on the Symetre vs the 5:1 on the Daiwa (forget what model but it was in the same price range).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
crop duster said:
i love mine...as mayfly said, we have been using them for a couple years and no problems. we have sure given those drags a workout too!
Same boat with a 2500 in my arsenal and it is about as much as I am willing to spend on a spinning reel.

One last thing... If you pay close attention to the manual, you will discover that you can spool the line on directly just as you would with a baitcast reel. This is one of the best features I love about the Symetre. It eliminates confusion during the spoolin'. :lol: Consequently, this is also true of her sexier upper class sisters, Ms. Saros, Ms. Stradic, Ms. Sustain, and Stella. Stella!!!!!!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that will be my next reel, a Stella more than likely.

Did some casting with the rod/reel combo last night. Got some amazing distance with only a 1/4oz weight. Can't wait to try this combo on the river.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Oh Stella,(I can't find a smilie for drewl) but then again that's an entirely different world. The Symetre is a nice little work horse. The Diawa Exceler isn't a bad little reel either. Either one would do you well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MrOlearhy said:
Oh Stella,(I can't find a smilie for drewl) but then again that's an entirely different world. The Symetre is a nice little work horse. The Diawa Exceler isn't a bad little reel either. Either one would do you well.


Tup:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top