Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The Hood Canal return is estimated at just over 229,000 pink salmon, down 27 percent from the 2015 forecast. The Green River forecast is almost 119,000 fish, down 81 percent, and the Nisqually River forecast is 21,400 fish, down 98 percent."

Only 21,000 pinks expected!!! What the hell???

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
yep just like the way low coho returns last year.Remember the estimates are just semi educated guesses .Its not a exact science.Pink returns for 2015 was supposed to be a great year those fish were small and not nearly what they said would return.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So where's the beef ? Let's see the puyallup system numbers !

I know I'm being a bit anek-dot-all here, but the pinks that showed here in the last season were quite nice, and about average in size, and lord knows the coho in the creek looked way better than expected/predicted...

Fish on !

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Those numbers we've been seeing isn't the norm. No reason to pull out your best Chicken little impression now. The nisqually typically hasn't had much of a pink run anyway. And those fish are dark who eats those?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I eat them and I have not seen any dark fish where I fish. And looking forward to some excellent catching this year and if you take proper care of pinks bleed right of way and put on ice they are excellent table fair

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I eat them and I have not seen any dark fish where I fish. And looking forward to some excellent catching this year and if you take proper care of pinks bleed right of way and put on ice they are excellent table fair
Agree. I've always eaten them... And all the Nisqually pinks I've caught have been big bright and healthy. Too bad this year there gonna be few and far between

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just remember to point the finger back at yourselves when everything shuts down. Between the tribes, commercials and the I have to eat everything I catch crowd, we have nothing to look forward to but doom and gloom.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nisqually Pro -

The pink forecast for all of Puget Sound is significantly lower than recent years with the only areas with decent numbers forecasted include Hood Canal, Green River (119,000) and Puyallup (382,000). Folks probably need to keep in mind that for much of this century we have seen pink returns well above the decades proceeding.

Putting the Nisqually forecast in some context the pink escapements have been monitored since 1959. If indeed 20,000 pinks make it back to the Nisqually in 2017 that would be 4th highest escapement seen. Prior to 2011 the Nisqually pink escapement never once exceed 20,000 and for the period 1959 thru 2009 the escapement averaged less than 5,000!

No one was sure why the pink populations exploded this century and whether the poor outlook for 2017 is the result of the combination of small size in 2015 (the females had only 1/3 of the normal number of eggs) and damaging floods while the eggs were in the gravel or a slide back to what was the norm prior to 2001.

Fingers crossed it is the former and not the later.

curt

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeh, you guys need to listen to the two Super Newbies and don't be eating anything.
Learn from the Super Newbies, buy your fishing license and mount your catches Enumclaw style, on the gravel.
And it's all your fault when WDFW shuts down the fisheries, which they will since you just threaten to eat Pinks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Smalma thanks for the inf0 or better yet Iron we can all listen to the whine and cry baby that does nothing to help improve our fishiers but bend over and grab his ankles like you.So again iron put up or shut up WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE TO HELP IMPROVE OUR SEASONS?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.