Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find any good siwash replacements for smaller spoons that I use. The ones that come on dick nites are great but as far as I've heard you can't get those. I've tired a few like VMC etc. but have'nt been happy with various qualities. Some don't hold a point for squat,some bend to easy, and others seem to file down to nothing before you blink your eyes - anyone know of a good brand to try out there? Or is tthere now a way to procure the Dick Nite hooks? I am definately just looking for the straight shanked plain old "J" shaped siwash.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have shied away from the gami's because I like to sharpen my hooks frequently - and gami's with thier rounded points just aren't conducive to being sharpened very well. I might have to give em a shot though if I can't find anything else I really like.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definately did'nt know that they use eagle claw hooks - thanks for the info Vol. Nice link also, seems like a good site, and I don't have to run to 3 stores to find the right size in stock. Tup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
OWNER hooks are the sharpest hooks you can buy IMO. For my TOMIC plugs, I really like the shape of the Mustad Siwash and have never had a problem sharpening it. Once you hook a fish with that hook, it won't come unbuttoned in a fight (in my experience).

·
Registered
649 Posts
volynsky said:
according to the Dick Nite website, their spoons have Eagle Claw siwash hooks.
That's right! American Made...

The number of the Eagle Claw hooks we use is 210N - Eagle Claw Salmon-Siwash Nickel Open-Eye #210N - Sizes 4, 6 & 8.

A lot of the hooks out there that folks use as replacements are simply too heavy and kill the action - Gami's and Eagle Claws are similar in size/weight... Haven't tried the Owners or many of the others available, but when replacing simply make sure the wire size is not substantially larger than the original to keep the action...

And, if you want to do it right, you really should just replace the whole Dick Nite when the hook gets dull! wink:

Dick

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
dicknite said:
volynsky said:
according to the Dick Nite website, their spoons have Eagle Claw siwash hooks.
And, if you want to do it right, you really should just replace the whole Dick Nite when the hook gets dull! wink:

Dick
You mean thats n ot what everyone dose???? :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts