Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been browsing these forums for a few months now and also checking out the reports and such. I have some vacation coming up Mid-March and was wondering if you guys knew of some good spots around this time of year. I am open for lake fishing and river fishing. Preferably in locations around Seattle and as far south as Olympia. Open to any kind of fish as long as its freshwater. I also have access to a boat for lakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Hit some lakes for kokanee if ya got a boat. Id say if you're only willing to go as far south as Olympia then you ain't gonna be doing springers. Lake Meridian, Sammamish and Stevens are the talk of the kokanee world right now. There's a couple of threads about them already.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1859

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1405

Some great info in those 2 threads. I'll be taking advantage of it when i get my boat in shape before summer.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
powder said:
Hit some lakes for kokanee if ya got a boat. Id say if you're only willing to go as far south as Olympia then you ain't gonna be doing springers. Lake Meridian, Sammamish and Stevens are the talk of the kokanee world right now. There's a couple of threads about them already.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1859

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1405

Some great info in those 2 threads. I'll be taking advantage of it when i get my boat in shape before summer.

Welcome to the site!
Sammamish is closed to kokanee fishing, FYI

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
volynsky said:
powder said:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1859

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1405

Welcome to the site!
Sammamish is closed to kokanee fishing, FYI
Oh... cutts then right? haha

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess i am going to have to figure out how to catch Kokanee in March.
I never start getting them until May myself. There must be a different technique to catch them then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just swooped up a new rod, going to hit up the Peninsula for some salmon fishin right off the beach this friday, I'll send back some reports.

I was just wondering more on the parts if anybody had any particular lakes or rivers to hit around that time line that are running the hottest. Most of the lakes around here are stocked in April as far as I know correct? I live in Seattle, and my parents live near Olympia, and I want to take my dad fishin' to some other places other than the lake they currently live on. I'll have to check on some of those threads to see what's running and such.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
The Cowlitz usually has a shot of fish around mid March. The B Run should start picking up soon and be decent by then. Only an hour south of Olympia. The Skookumchuck is open until the end of April and there could be some Steel left in there and it is ultra easy to fish up by the hatchery. It's not far from East Olympia, like maybe 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks corkie, yeah my parents live off of Lake St. Clair, so not far from Yelm ;)
Never really caught anything too good out of that lake though except right after they stock the lake.

Thanks for the tips in the local area though, I'll have to see if dad is interested in hitting up some of the rivers. Nothing in the Nisqually that time of year is there?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If the bugs are hatching in March, hit Beaver lake in Issaquah. Troll or drift a woolly booger, or a tiny spoon, or a small worm..... reel slow, like a chronimid swimming.

There used to be some phenomenal lakes in the Yelm area, especially for pan fishing. Are any of them open year round?
Such as Ohop, Clear, Tanwax, Rapjohn, Silver, Kapowsin or Alder (large lakes) etc. I have not lived down there in 30 years, so I am out of touch. Some locals by you will chime in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts