Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a distinct possibility that I may head over to Rufus from Spokane on Feb 2 and 3. Never fished it before. Will be bankin it. Need to know things like tackle, terminal tackle. Best baits. Hooks and sizes. Techniques, set ups, colors for jigs, etc etc etc.
Any and all helpful information would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

·
Administrator
13,983 Posts
Its your basic power bait plunking gear.

3 to 4 ft leader. 1/2 to 1 oz sliding weight. Size 4 - 6 hook. Take an assortment of power bait, small white marshmallows and worms. Use a big glob of powerbait or string 2 or 3 marshmallow onto your line and tip with worm. If your going to use artificial then go with a black 1/4 oz jig. Twitch it off the bottom or run it under a slip float.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Dr Hook said:
Its your basic power bait plunking gear.

3 to 4 ft leader. 1/2 to 1 oz sliding weight. Size 4 - 6 hook. Take an assortment of power bait, small white marshmallows and worms. Use a big glob of powerbait or string 2 or 3 marshmallow onto your line and tip with worm. If your going to use artificial then go with a black 1/4 oz jig. Twitch it off the bottom or run it under a slip float.
The only thing I do different is a longer leader. I run leaders close to 6'.

·
Administrator
13,983 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Is the heavy weight for casting or is there that much current there?
There can be a lot of current, other times not so much. It all depends on power consumption at the dam. When the current is heavy you will need up to 1 oz of weight. I've seen people use more.

Your not casting far, anywhere from 20ft to 50ft max. Any further and your out of the zone, except for burbots. :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
Heading over for the first time in a couple of weeks, thanks for the info everyone. Thought about draggin FISH 4 FUN over but I think the first trip will just be a bank trip and to scout things out a little before I drag the sled over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
There can be a lot of current, other times not so much. It all depends on power consumption at the dam. When the current is heavy you will need up to 1 oz of weight. I've seen people use more.

Your not casting far, anywhere from 20ft to 50ft max. Any further and your out of the zone, except for burbots. :D
Do they really have burbot there? If they do can you still fish for burbot or any other fish once you have your trout limit with bait?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4tboys said:
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:

Do they really have burbot there? If they do can you still fish for burbot or any other fish once you have your trout limit with bait?
Good question. And thank you Dr. Hook and friends. wink:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
4tboys said:
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:

Just fish for burbot first. wink:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Would even be worth it to target the burbot in there? If so.. how would you go about doing that?

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
YellowFever said:
Would even be worth it to target the burbot in there? If so.. how would you go about doing that?
Fling a wormy out to the bottom after the sun sets and watch what happens.

Otherwise the Hookster nailed it perfectly :mrgreen:

Black rubber wavy tail grubs on a 1/4 jig head = deadly Tup:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You guys are thinking it's way too tough over there. If you're on the bank, get your chair set up. Set down, rig up your mallow and worm - stand up and chuck a ways. Set down, pop a beverage, and then wait for your fish. Easy deal. It may be 5 minutes or 2 hours, but the tackle is simple. Bring lots of different baits if they seem choosy. Throw jigs if the fish are biting and want to CnR. Lat year even the bait guys had slow times. Anything from 6 foot trout rods to 9 fot steely rods will work, I would tend to go lighter.

Burbots tended to be a nightime, fire on the beach deal. Good luck. I hope to make it this year, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I think Cheez nailed it pretty good. There’s not much I would add to what he said unless you want to C&R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts