Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the bayliner out on lake stevens yesterday putting some hours on the new motor to break it in.New motor purred like a kitten and ran awseome.After stopping and drifting for a half hour to have lunch we noticed water coming in from under the engine compartment.Opened the box and the box was full to the bottom of the oil pan.Turned on the bilge pump and the water went quickly away.
Fired up the motor to see if there was any leaks and there were none.Looked back by the plug and really couldnt see way back there but i doubt water was coming from the drain plug.Seemed water was only coming in while we were sitting.Could it be one of the bellows on the outdrive that has a hole in it letting water in? We replaced all of them when we did the repower.Basically everything is new except the outdrive itself.Outdrive has been gone thru with new parts impeller and bearings..
Motor is a 120 4cyl Mercruiser I/O.Bought new drain plug and got some marine silicone to go around where the outdrive mounts to the fiberglass transom on the back of the boat.I;ll throw that stuff on then dunk it in the lake to see if it helps.
Really dont want to throw a lot of more money into the thing as i said the repower was the last money i;m putting into this old boat.Might need to take it in to Three Rivers to see if they can find out whats up if its something simple..Has to be something simple.Anyone have any thoughts what might be going on?
Boat is a 1968 18 ft. Bayliner Discovery that i restored.Boat looks show room new..

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
i had that problem once

it was the hose where you drive line goes through

the only time it leaked was when we were in gear

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Check the bolts that mount the outdrive transom shield. If they forgot a bolt, forgot to tighten, or put in an undersized bolt you will have leaking.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
.....and put an auto bilge pump in there. That way you will have a much earlier warning about taking on water.
I had a friend out on the water one day anchored and swimming from his boat. About 3 hrs later the water started seeping up thru the floor. He hadnt realized it until then. He opened the motor hatch and lower 1/2 of the motor was under water.

Got the boat started then put in gear and all the water rushed to the back of the boat as the bow rose. He then fried all his electrical stuff and had to get towed in.

with an auto switched bilge pump it will automatically turn on when the water is about 1-2" in the bilge and you will be able to asses the problem much sooner and possibly prevent a catastrophe. Pretty cheap insurance for about $100.

As for you taking on water, it could aldo have just been a loose plug, or one of the gascets mentioned above

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Just a quick note on automatic bilge/float switches. Whenever I install one of these, I put an LED light on the dash that lights when the pump is on, so that you know when the pump is operating. There's a couple of reasons for that, First, if the pump is running, you want to know why or if there is a problem. Secondly I have seen many instances where the float switch sticks in the on postion, or gets bumped into the on position during travel or something floating around in the bilge jambs the switch, which can result in a dead battery if not caught in time.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with finding the leak. I'd suspect the rubber boot where the outdrive exits the transom. You might also check the housing that the transom plug screws into. I've seen those leak, even if the plug itself was sealing well.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Does your boat sit outside uncovered? If so you could have an accumulation of water in the front that is working its way to the rear. I would park the boat with the nose up as high as you can get it and check the bilge for accumulation. OF course also check all the hoses and other points where water can get in too.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boat sits in a covered garage.I installed a new drain plug and the back of the boat was dry enough today that i put a good bead of silicone around where the outdrive meets the fiberglass.I;ll wait a few days for the silicone to cure then i;ll dunk it..Does have a pump on board just not a automatic one.Might have to invest in a automatic pump...Or a switch to convert the pump to auto..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the things i have just done dont fix the problem where can i take it to be looked at.To find a leak like this the boat will have to be dunked in the water i think.Three Rivers doesnt have any way of doing this.Performance Marine might and i know Bayside does but i said i would never give Bayside any more of my business as they were the ones that blew up the motor in the first place.I also said the last 3 grand i put in the thing would be the last.But the boat has sentimental value to me and i like the boat.I would like to give Three Rivers my business as they treat me rite when they service my Crestliner...

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Rick's Master Marine on the Duwamish at the foot of the draw bridge. Good people since 1979 .....

1411 SO THISTLE ST.

SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

(WE ARE LOCATED ON THE DUWAMISH RIVER ACROSS FROM BOEING FIELD IN SOUTH PARK MARINA. LOOK FOR OUR BUILDING OFF THE SOUTH WEST CORNER OF THE 16TH AVE. BRIDGE)

PHONE: 206-762-0741

TOLL: 1-800-767-0741

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Johnguz76, Where are you located? When you had the motor out did you place the shift cable bellows? and the exhaust bellows?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep replaced all those bellows.Live in lake stevens.Dunking it today to see if the fixes i did are working.If not its to preformance marine.They did the work..gotta have the boat fixed.Have a derby next weekend..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a universal go out in my merc outdrive and asked about replacing the bellows at the same time. My mechanic said the bellows looked good and there a pain to change. Next year another universal and its rusted. So he pulls the bellows, seems like who ever changed it didn't get it seated properly before it was clamped. Mine didn't leak much water in the boat, but enough saltwater got in to do in the universals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts