Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one Know what the point is about the difference on genetics , Or the argument about genetics with salmon ,or steel head
My reference is to a case I once read that went to court between the tribes and whom I don't remember , But IF I remember ,the Judge said that there was no Genetic differences between a hatchery fish and a wild fish of the same stream of origin ,
Also what are your thoughts about hatchery stocks being used from one river in a different river , As In If you look at hatchery reports on the WDFW site you will see they move stocks from the skookumchuck to Bingham creek etc , what are the arguments about this ,
And finally what about survival of the fittest , Are the hatcheries breeding the fish down to a weaker stock ?
Or could a hatchery fish on the deschutes jump the falls the same as a wild fish ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting questions. I was talking about this same subject with a friend today. I can't wait to hear responses from some people that know much more thatn I do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I havent sat down and put in time researching this. But from experience I dont see how they could be genetically the same. I tied into both hatchery and a native this year from the exact same river exact same hole. Although the hatchery was smaller 8lbs or it was the same chrome bright condition as the 14lb native. It was like night and day in terms of characteristics. Dont get me wrong the hatchery was still great but it couldnt hold a candle to that native. Flat out it was an athlete. If they are from the same genetics they sure dont act like it. Just my 2 cents. Im sure I just stated the obvious though lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Geneticaly, they are not the same. Biologically they are not the same. Economically they are about the same.

On some rivers there are so many stray hatchery fish spawning in the wild that they have effectively eliminated the native genetic strains present by breeding with them over successive generations. Rivers like the green, puyallup, willapa complex jump to mind here.

Maybe that was what the judge was talking about. Genetically speaking hatchery fish are not wild fish, no matter how much the politicos want them to be.

Apples and oranges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts