Game Fishing Forum banner

Gas Prices.

5K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  Green Haze 
#1 ·
On the way to work this morning I noticed a gas station in Federal Way that had the following prices.
Regular $3.47
Mid grade $3.57
Premium $3.67
Diesel $3.87

I was just wondering what others are paying in there area's.?

#3 ·
Our gas prices are about the same over here on the east side of the state but the diesel is much higher. The shell station in Coulee City is asking $4.089 a gallon for the diesel as of yesterday. :(

#7 ·
It's really not a supply and demand issue as there are sufficient stocks. Whats driving the cost up is the weakening of the dollar in world markets. World petroleum producers use the USD as their base trade currency. With the dollar worth much less they need more dollars to maintain their return when they switch into their home currency, gold, etc.

#15 ·
FARMBOY said:
Get this, my two kids, 24 and 26, I dont think have ever paid for there own fuel for there cars, every time I bring it up it just causes a BIG fight with the wife, whats a guy to do??
Do they still live at home in the basement? Might be time to give them the boot. Every dollar they take from you is more time you have to work until you retire, and you only have so much time on this earth.

#17 ·
Its a good thing that it is only a 5-10 minute run to the Pt from TOA and the rest of the fishing time is spent running the kicker. Might have to just launch and start trolling with the tide immediately. When the tide changes turn around and troll the other way.

I haven't been driving very much the last few months as the appraisal business is kinda slow. So if I don't have work I don't go anywhere except the store. Keeps the mileage down on my truck though.

#18 ·
Anybody want to buy my 54 mpg on the freeway car, with careful driving can get 60 mpg. on local runs. Best I have achieved is 142 mpg on a gentle downhill slope. If I go to the main shops one way and come back another I can get good mpg. With the price at $10 plus per gallon I have to take it easy. Roll on spring time when I can go out on my electric buggy.

Last week in high winds it took an extra gallon just to go over and see my sister just over 50 miles away.

#19 ·
CommanderX said:
FARMBOY said:
Get this, my two kids, 24 and 26, I dont think have ever paid for there own fuel for there cars, every time I bring it up it just causes a BIG fight with the wife, whats a guy to do??
Do they still live at home in the basement? Might be time to give them the boot. Every dollar they take from you is more time you have to work until you retire, and you only have so much time on this earth.
No, they have bought there oun townhouses in Puyallup, there both good kids but just got in over there heads a little bit being young homeowners and all. Just gonna help them out for a bit longer

#20 ·
Major said:
Webo said:
$3.49
$3.59
$3.79

$3.89 diesel

The WERE ALL fifty cents a gallon cheaper just over a month ago.

What happened?
Greed! :shock:
That and the reduction in supplies due to the recent refinery fire in Texas!
And... As Wolverine pointed out... The declining value of the US Dollar on the world market.

Some "Gas Facts"
$0.184 Federal Gas Tax
$0.360 State Gas Tax
$0.195 Fed Income Tax
$0.739 Total Tax per Gallon
$0.282 Oil Co's Profit Margin per Gallon

It is easy to see just who the greedy parties are! :lol:

*Note: Edited to correct tax rates.

#21 ·
Bonzo, I can see that you slept through Econ 101. :eek: Let's put some facts on the table.

1. Supply and demand: Currently, even with the refinery fire in Texas, the supply of gasoline is just fine. Anybody who tries to intimate that the supply side is low because of environmental regulations, lack of refining capacity, greedy state and federal tax collectors, or lack of drilling in ANWR is lazy and not doing their homework. When was the last time that you went to your local filling station and found it closed due to lack of product? When was the last time you heard of such a thing happening?

2. The declining dollar: This is a significant part of the recent rise in gasoline prices. It is important, however, to understand why the value of the dollar is going down.

a. The federal deficit has soared and not just the published deficit. This administration has financed George's adventure in Iraq "off the books". That doesn't make much difference to the deficit except that it is much worse than reported. Regardless, it is real money and that debt needs to be financed.

b. As we are either heading into recession or we are already there, the Fed has lowered rates and increased the money supply.

c. That lowered rate is the basis for how we finance the debt.

So, to attract investors (mainly foreign) to finance our debt, we must lower the value of the dollar so that each unit of their currency buys more US $'s. Voila, declining dollar and for a global commodity like oil, we see a dizzying rise that is tied very closely to the fall of the $. On the plus side, our exports of manufactured goods and commodities are enjoying a competitive advantage.

3. Speculation - Unfortunately for the majority of us on this site, we don't play in the futures market. For those that do however, this is the good old days. Lots of money being made on oil future speculation and us poor saps that are consumers get nailed.

4. Oil company profits - Yup, they are very high, I wish I had investments that would allow me to share in the windfall. I always hear about the miniscule percentage margin that the oil companies make on a gallon of gas and I cry crocodile tears. A wise man once told me "You don't bank percentages, you bank dollars". The oil companies are finding a fair number of dollars to bank.

I get so tired of both ideologies (right and left) blaming the environmentalists or the oil companies. The reality is that our consumption deserves a huge part of the blame and the factors above carry the rest.

#22 ·
5.02 for bio diesel in Ballard..........
Forecast is for 4.00 for regular by Spring, 5.00 for summer....here in Seattle.
Crude closed Friday at over 103.00 per barrel.
Southern CA is now over 4.25.

I paid 3.97 this evening in south seattle, almost 90.00 to fill up the X5 with Super...ouch!!....lucky for me I get paid .75 per mile everytime I fire up my cars, looks like I'll need to bump this mileage rate up a bit once it hits 4.00 a gallon...............this really sucks.

#23 ·
Sorry Eddie but if you want to "blame" yourself for being a consumer go right ahead but please don't cast your guilt onto those who have none. These minor inconveniences at the pump will be helpful in our quest for energy independence and more fuel efficient vehicles long term. Tup: Just wait till it gets over five bucks...Whew! sick: How about Sj's prices.... conf:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.