Gamefishin.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
NFC's are hard to beat right now of you want a rod to build from scratch. I have a 904, 905, 1002 and an 1164 noodle rod. I could feel a fish make a decision on these.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Go to facebook and look up eagle creek rods, hes a sage dealer as well as a builder, and yes there still building blanks.
I should have clarified...yes they still build blanks for rod builders. Over the counter finished, not anymore.

Third party builders are way better than the over the counters they used to sell. My opinion.

·
Registered
391 Posts
odh? i dont perfer the spiral or acid wrap its too ugly i use standard . i like the black pearl rec/recoil guide also.
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you saying that Sage is currently and actively building salmon/steelhead blanks for custom builders?
Or custom builders are building the last remaining Sage salmon/steelhead rods?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Too rich for my blood.
A guy can dream though right? I know now that when I get the chance to upgrade I will at least take a good hard look at some of these custom build options. Really want to see how far up the $$$ scale I need to go to slide into one of these. Not to mention the benefit of supporting a local builder. Been happy to date with my current over the counter setup but the guides seem less and less smooth. Really like the look of these double coils I'm seeing and from what I'm hearing it sounds like that's the way to go. Smooth.

·
Registered
391 Posts
lol sage should stick to fly blanks. theyr gear rods and blanks are nothing to brag about they seem heavyer and slower action compared to nfc hm or si blank

·
Registered
380 Posts
Lyle Pitt Froyd, owner of Eagle Creek Rods, is the western distribitor and builder for sage, so its him and the canadian guy now. He has some great pricing too, he carries GSH, CT, and HT blanks, this guy is a sage guy, and an awesome builder.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
lol sage should stick to fly blanks. theyr gear rods and blanks are nothing to brag about they seem heavyer and slower action compared to nfc hm or si blank
LOL...thats like comparing your Edge to a Convergence rod...not even the same. Completely different technology in all those rods you mentioned. Si blanks are heavier btw in comparable length.

Everyone has there own opinion obviously, but have yet to see a custom built SAGE owner complain about performance....but yet have heard plenty of complaints about over-the-counter Edge rods and charging hundreds for replacement tips ($50 thru SAGE). With that being said-I like EDGE rods as well nevertheless...lol

Sorry for the hijacked thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where?
Please pm me if you prefer. Thanks
ebay has the gear blanks for about 350
Check out the Temple Fork Outfitter salmon rods at Sportsman's. They use those blanks and have Gary's name on them. They also have a lifetime warranty with a 48 garaunteed turn around after it arrives in their shop.
They have a limited lifetime guarantee, a very big difference

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh man I just found out that Angler's Workshop is no longer in operation in Woodland.
They got bought and brought out of state.
I'm devastated because this place had everything and some for my custom built.
First it was Shoffe's now Angler's Workshop.
We have some of the world's finest rod manufacturers in Washington but now we have ZERO hobby supply outlet.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts